View Single Post
Old 09-15-16, 04:59 PM   #6
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
I think tactic point/lead/lag is not crucial in DW battles because concerns target which is:

1) alone,
2) moving straight,
3) with constant speed
4) in open waters

So if you think it is crucial to changes course only +70/-50/0 (for target going from left to right) please give me good reasons for that.
In my opinion much better is changing course minimum +/-30 depending on the tactical situation.
It's my opinion. Why only change your course a little bit when you can change it a lot and get a greater differential in bearing rate? If there is a scenario where a player has to transit somewhere or sneak in somewhere by a certain time, then sure, the player does not have the same liberty in changing course solely for aiding in TMA. However, in a significant number of missions, the player's role is only to track and/or hunt enemy platforms. Why not give yourself the highest contrast in bearing rate? Like I said, this is mainly if you're plotting manually, and it's good for starting out. If you're using auto TMA, then yeah, you don't need as drastic of course changes.

Quote:
Second problem is identification. In many MP and SP missions civilian traffic is high. So which 50 or 60 Hz narrowband contact is your main target?

Since RA 1.40 acoustic signatures was changed:

Frequency String 1 – Generator Type
50 or 60 Hz for units
55 Hz and 65 Hz for torpedoes.

Frequency String 2 – Tonnage Factor
100 Hz – 41000 Tonns and more
280 Hz – 500 – 999 Tonns

Frequency String 3 – Engine Type - first string good for identification!

Frequency String 4 and 5 – Unique frequency for each class

It means, good identification for military weasels is possible from short ranges.

Like I said before, tactics point/leg/lead are almost useless in real battle because was created for idealized situation.
The second frequency is definitely the first good frequency for identification. Let's say one is targeting a Foxtrot-class submarine. The player finds a 50 Hz frequency on the narrowband. As they move in to further classify the contact, the second frequency becomes 280 Hz. This is for sure not a Foxtrot because the Foxtrot has a second frequency of 250 Hz. (RA frequencies)

One also has to use their intuition in this regard. Are you seeing only a 50 Hz and 60 Hz signal with no accompanying broadband signal? There is a good probability that the contact is a military, maybe even submerged, contact. If you have a strong broadband signal along with a narrowband signal, the contact is most likely a civilian.

Quote:
BTW did You read chapter "VI. CONCLUSIONS" from this analysis?

http://calhoun.nps.edu/bitstream/han...pdf?sequence=1
I have not but a quick skim through shows that to be interesting. I have a background in engineering, so mathematical solutions to TMA are something I have been interested in for a while. I will check that out for sure.

Quote:
I agree... but not in DW beacause most players are shocked when meets many contacts especially from TA. So teaching new players on too idealized situation is in my opinion not good.
I personally don't want play missions where alone main target is going straight with constant speed with tactic "transit" because this is boring.
I would say that is exactly the reason why topics should really be taught one at a time. This game has a very steep learning curve already. I think just throwing people into the fray could have the effect of frustrating them to the point where they think the game is even more daunting than it already is. How is one supposed to determine the interaction and effect of various components of a battle if they don't know how the various parts behave by themselves?

This is how I learned in my undergraduate experience in college. You learn the topics by themselves, one at a time. Then you start combining them into more complex problems. You first need to know how the individual parts work, though. Knowledge is power. The more you can learn, the better.

I should probably check out this mission instead of just hijacking this thread

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote