View Single Post
Old 03-16-14, 11:21 PM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Which of course brings us right back to the question why have it at all? Bad weather I'm working on, made a test mission with max wind speed therefore all the waves I'm gonna get. 1 fish each into a KONGO, HIRYU, and SHOKAKU, three fish in a YAMATO, all sank within 20 minutes plus a KUMA light cruiser I never fired a shot at. Numbers obviously have to be adjusted higher, what I'm aiming for is a battered wreck so low in the water that it LOOKS like it SHOULD sink with no further action, not one that settles a few feet with a 5 degree list sinking 15 minutes later. I would have done this with the flooding times in the zones.cfg file instead, but that thing is such a cluttered mishmash of who knows what does what and which values do nothing because they're leftovers from SH3, I'm afraid I'll make the player sub sink in 3 seconds after the lines from the pier are cast off. We've already had enough of that nonsense. Not looking for perfect kills every time either, there's always a random element of how much damage the initial torpedo explosion does. I removed Webster's enhanced torpedo mod and restored the original default fish, if the #8 I'm looking at is the Mark 14 that has min EF = 180 and max EF = 350, with a damage radius from 3.5 to 8 meters. Smack a Kongo with three of them and it could remove anywhere from 540 to 1050 of the 800 hit points, if it's high then down she goes, if it's 540 that leaves 260 to go. If it settles down from flooding to the critical depth it takes 0.5 hit points per second, so 30 per minute, and should lose the 260 remaining hit points in about 8 1/2 minutes. Once I get the depth tweaked I'll probably lower that to something like 0.2 so it loses 12 hit points per minute or something.
The general idea is you'll still wail and lament watching a BB or CV steaming away after shrugging off hits from your last torpedoes occasionally, but not every single time. Balance of gameplay. And of course it SHOULD be visually obvious that the ones that get away aren't that badly damaged, if it looks badly damaged then by all that's holy it should sink before getting far enough away that it's "removed from the game board" still unsunk.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote