Soundman

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnorchel
Sigurd,

I do use megnatic. all of this 5 torpedo are megnatic. But some torpedo do not explode just under the central line of the keel but pass by it and explode on the other side of the ship. but oerall it still very close to the central line. the torpedos depth setting is 1 meter deeper than the ships draft. But via the external view I can see the torpedo is very close to the kneel. I think maybe this is because in history early germany torpedo has depth setting problem.
Ok, I think I see the problem then. From what youre describing, you were near an AOB of 90 degrees (i'm guessing), so since you were using Magnetics, they passed completely under the keel before exploding, and only did minimal damage, since they didnt fully explode under the ship (the explosion would be sent away from the ship, and probably only catch a small portion of the keel). Since you didnt do as much damage to ship, it took more to damage enough to sink.

I've had it happen a few times to me (including on a large tanker in poor weather with no more torpedoes). AOBs near 90 degrees are better treated with shots hitting the hull of the ship, rather then going under the keel (which are better left to poor AOBs). The reasoning is that the magnetic torpedoes need to sense the metal above it. If you give it only 1.5m, it will arm and detonate after it has moved out from under the keel. If I were to venture a rough guess, I'd say AOBs greater then about... 70 or so should be Impact (or hitting the hull). Less then 70 should be Magnetic. If any more experienced players have better results, please post them.

Ok! Thanks for you comments. I will try the way just as you advised. Need to go to bed now 1:30 AM at my location.
schnorchel is offline   Reply With Quote