View Single Post
Old 11-11-18, 11:02 AM   #3370
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

November 11, 1918

"A nation of seventy millions suffers but does not die."
-Matthias Erzberger, chief German delegate, after pointing out that the Armistice terms would bring about anarchy and famine in Germany.

Emperor Karl resigns, leading to the seperate states of Austria and Hungary.

Poland expels German troops. Jozef Pilsudski, commander-in-chief of Polsih forces during the war, assumes leadersdhip of the newly-independent state.

At 0630 word reaches American High Command, which issues orders that the fighting will not sotp until 1100.
"The men who died or were maimed in those last few hours suffered nedlessly, and their mishandling provoked a Congressioal investigation after the war."
-Historian Donald Smythe, as quoted by Martin Gilbert

"I fired my battery until 1045, when I fired my last shot."
-Captain Harry Truman

Canadian Private George Price, waiting with his fellows at the village of Ville-sur-Haine, near Mons, is killed by a German sniper. The time is 1058. He is the last of 60,661 Canadian soldiers to die in the war.

"Officers had their watches in their hands, and the troops waited with the same grave composure with which they had fought. At two minutes to eleven, opposite the South African brigade, at the eastern-most point reached by the British armies, a German machine-gunner, after firing off a belt without pause, was seen to stand up beside his weapon, take off his helmet, bow, and then walk slowly to the rear."
John Buchan, 1st Baron Tweedsmuir, who served in the Propaganda Bureau and was also editor of a magazine chronicling the war and was later published as 'Nelson's History of the War'.

In Shrewsbury, England, near the Welsh border. Wilfred Owen's parents are celebrating when the telegram arrives informing them their son had been killed one week earlier.

At 10 Downing Street in London, Prime Minister David Lloyd George opines that the Kaiser ought to be hanged. Winston Churchill disagrees.

In France American General John Pershing says he thought the Germans had gotten off lightly, and that the war should have continued until all the German solders had dropped their arms and surrendered.

"Militarism and bureaucracy have been thoroughly abolished here. The present leadership seems thoroughly equal to the task."
Alber Einstein, letter to his mother, November 11, 1918