View Single Post
Old 07-18-17, 03:27 PM   #9
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
They certainly did make time for that. .

Im sorry to contradict, but it seems that at least in the early war....specifically in the two cases I mentioned of Moon Chapple and James Coe making the jump from Sugars to Fleets...they did NOT undertake a PCO cruise prior to transfer.

Maybe later in the war such things were common, but for the period in question it seems not to be.

JAMES COE

S-39 --Ended patrol March 13,1942
SKIPJACK --Assumed command March 28,1942
SKIPJACK --First patrol with Coe in command --April 14,1942

In essence he was in command for barely two weeks before his first patrol in a fleetboat. Or looked at another way he had 15 days between the time he stepped off a Sugar boat before he assumed command of a fleet boat.

No PCO cruise noted.

MOON CHAPPLE

S-38 --Ended patrol January 1942 (I couldn't find exact date)
PERMIT --returned from patrol under old captain Feb 6,1942
PERMIT --Departed first patrol under Chapple Feb 22,1942

While I don't know when S-38 ended her patrol in January, Permit wasn't even in dock a t Surabaya until Feb 6th so Moon could not have taken over prior to that date. Assuming Hurst was relieved the instant he stepped off the boat, Chapple had at maximum 16 days in command prior to leaving on his first war patrol.

Again no time for a PCO cruise.

These are just two examples but are probably the best known skippers making the sugar boat to fleet jump. Neither had time to make a PCO cruise under another captain in his new boat.

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote