View Single Post
Old 10-31-16, 07:46 AM   #655
Pomf666
Swabbie

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

First a quick question to anyone, starting my first LSH campaign. I started in Kiel port at that start of the war with a Type VIIB (forget which flotilla, but I think 7th? because I didn't want to do 1st and be stuck on type IIB for the start of the war [already did 2 campaigns in the past starting with them]).

Anyways, after a few patrols, I applied for transfer to 1st flotilla so I could get Brest base once Germany took over France. I found out later LSH takes 5 patrols to do xfer, not just immediately like vanilla, which is fine, but when I got xfer'd mid patrol I was surprised to arrive at Brest and still not have the option of buying a Type VIIC. I figured maybe I have to wait until I do a full mission from the base, but still no dice. I have continued missions and it is now Dec. 1940 still no option. I am wondering if my xfer messed it up or is this just how it works?

Turns out I am starting my 12th patrol in Jan. 1941, so if I don't get the option to buy a VIIC by the next patrol, then I definitely think something is wrong, but maybe someone knows if this is just how late it takes to get the VIIC or what for LSH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingGrandad View Post
I'm very much enjoying LSH3 so far - excellent work!!

Many nice features. Very impressed with the environment lighting - especially at night!

I have found a potential bug to do with ship spawns: On patrol, March 19 1940, Grid AF78, I encountered 2 x US S-Class subs within a few miles of each other, heading east. Both boats had the US flag and were marked as enemies on the map (red sub target icon). I know the USN operated S-class boats in the Atlantic in WW2 , but it seems historically wrong/odd to have US Navy subs patrolling between Scotland and Norway before the USA even entered the war. And also any US subs should be classed as Neutral targets, not Enemy targets.

Also, I launched a torpedo at one of the US subs. It hit the sub amidships, big explosion. The sub stopped moving but did not sink (I waited 24 hrs). Surely a torpedo hit like that should be more than enough to sink any sub?
I have seriously started my first LSH campaign now too, (just starting 12th patrol), and I too, came across 2 S-Class subs north of Scapa Flow on the same patrol, maybe 10th patrol, sometime in 1941 but before USA entering.

I often do manual sound detection work while going to patrol zones, and came across the most faint and unique sound I have ever heard in SH3. Since the sound was so faint it was quite a feat to track it down and when I discovered what it was I was really amazed I found it at all.

It was a S-class sub that was SUBMERGED, periscope up, but with the rest of the boat underwater, because of this, there was also no contact box on the map, regardless of how close I got. Since, S-Class was used both by UK and USA navy but since USA did not enter the war yet, I figured it was British (there was no flag since the sub was submerged). Since this was a new experience for me, I decided to try to attack the sub, figuring it for British, motivated by the background knowledge (IIRC) that Brit subs did cause a few problems for the Germans and also IIRC there was at least one sub to sub torpedo attack in the war (although they didn't hit each other).

Anyways, because how I chased down the S-Class, I came up behind it and decided to continue to do so as to be in it's sound blind-spot (didn't know how realistically LSH would model submerged AI subs).

I had to set my torp depth very deep in order to have a chance of hitting (I think I did 12-16 meters). I fired 1 torp and hit the back but just fore of the propeller. It did not destroy the sub... but clearly crippled it badly. I fired another one and that sunk it, making it sink toward crush depth.

After this I continued my patrol and then was returning to port after a convoy attack, and around the same area as the first sub, I found another one, S-Class, but this time the sub was surfaced, so it showed up as a red box and indeed the flag on the sub was USA.

Now, before hearing your post, I assumed that the first sub I sunk was maybe a USA one, during neutral time, which IIRC SH makes a neutral country attacked by Germany as hostile (red) until the end of the patrol and then resets. So, I thought the first S-Class was USA based on that info and assumed that is why the 2nd USA sub that was surfaced and confirmed USA due to the flag was red box hostile.

But now I hear your story, I am more confused. Maybe someone with more knowledge of LSH and/or real WW2 sub history can give some more context and information? Yeah, US Subs did stuff during WW2, but around the UK? Did that ever happen? BEFORE entering the war?

Or maybe it is indeed just a bug...?

Also, I agree that one torpedo, pretty much regardless of where hitting should sink a S-Class sub, they are so small...how could it possibly survive anything more than 1 torpedo hit??
Pomf666 is offline   Reply With Quote