View Single Post
Old 02-04-09, 09:20 AM   #51
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Happyman reporting life from my desktop. I went with the LG monitor in the end, because it got a significant higher share of all-out positive feedbacks from customers in German forums, than the Samsungs. I do not regret it. I was stunned to see how much the picture quality (colour, contrast, brightness) improved, compared to my 9 year old CRT 19". It's a quantum leap, not to mention the higher resolution.

However, all bases I checked in a store, of monitors ranging from 150 - 450 Euros, are a joke. "Solid stand" is a word from a foreign language, it seems. Every small touch to the desk seem to make the monitors to vibrate more or less obvious these days.

In the end, one feature made a difference for me, and that is why I decided for the LG nevertheless. I don'T know if other monitors copy it like this, but at least I did not found it advertised. As I said, I worried about the graphics board eventually not handling the higher workload with the higher resolution, when doing FS9 or Oblivion. While I do loose 0.5-1 frame indeed from jumping from 1280x960 to 1680x1050, this is so minor that I can ignore it. FS9 is not gfx-demanding, but CPU-demanding, and I take benefit from that in this situation. However: those of you needing to worry about a comparable situation when still using an older system, the LG monitor allows you by pressing a button on the monitor to run the monitor in a 4:3 hardware mode, and if you run the critical sim at a 4:3 resolution like you used to do before (set the resolution in the options inside the sim), you will get that exact frame rate and nevertheless unscaled, native crystal-clear laser sharp image quality - without need to launch a software application, without resetting software options before and after running that sim, by simply pressing a button on the monitor exterior. Can't get much more comfortable. I checked the thing with the frames in FS9, and believe me, it works like I said.

If you need to worry about your gfx board handling a widescreen, this info might be helpful to you.

Superb bang-for-the-buck ratio, superb picture quality. LG W2252TQ comes highly recommended.