View Single Post
Old 01-11-13, 07:45 AM   #51
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
From reading what you wrote, you forgot to activate APP mode (approach).

The glideslope is indicated by one or two dots right and sometimes additionally left in your display with the HSI representation. If there is no point visible, you either have tuned in the wrong frequency , or you are still not in range.

On your GPS, as I know it from my stuff Boeing stuff, solid purple is the flightplan'S course with the waypoints. Dash purple indeed moves according to your turning of the HDG course knob - it marks the course the plane would go to and follow if now you would ac tvate HDG in AP. Use this according to an anticipated flight situastion ij the near future, or have it always lined up ith the current course you are flying (=in congruence with the flightplan's line). In an airliner, the non-flying pilot would constantly dial that instrument accordingly whenever a course change has occured after a waypoint. And the white line, if it gets projected by the airport'S location, then it is the extension of the runway - you may want to intercept this line some miles away from the airport - I personally plan for having a minimum distance to airport of 10 nm.

The odd flight behaviour you reported, the swinging left and right of the to-be-intercepted vector. Two liekly explanations. First, you intercepted the localiser at too steep an angle, maybe even rectangular: the vector says 130°, and you slam into into with a heading of 40° - not good. Try to ease that angle, try to hit the localiser'S vector with an own heading of for exmaple 90° or 150°. If your angle is too steep, you overshoot, the plane excessively reacts by sharp turning, overshooting again, returning, overtshooting again. Second explanation: you suffer from some nasty characteristics of the inferior flight dynamics of the default planes. They are bitches.

Okay but how should I change the heading I hit the localizer at when the ATC is giving me a heading to stay on that will slam me right into the localizer? Im going to chaulk this one up for now to the fact that I just am somehow doing something wrong and thats why I kept overshooting.

Another question, when I open up the GPS and select to choose my approach (In this case ILS on Runway 09) and I activate it. Do I have to enter where the white line/arrow shows and fly that pattern for a bit before I land? Or do I just go with what the ATC is telling me? which is to pretty much fly straight in and land?

Another thing I must ask is on the GPS the 'area' of the ILS feathers, is that where I should start seeing a glideslope show up??

This is a bunch to absorb and process at once But Ill get there