View Single Post
Old 11-10-14, 09:18 PM   #2297
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
My main fort is Sutvaka, and I spend a lot of time in managing the many guards and followers I have there. I build in this running career the Hearthfire Home at Windstad (was it Windstad? I always mess up those names), and have another group of followers there. Recently I added a mod that slowly builds a huge mining complex very close to it, with even more NPCs and some guards there. I used a mod for establishing that wonderful little blockhouse and fishing quay plus watchtower at that lake southwest of Riverwood, another mod repaired one of the broken homes near the magicans' academy, and recently I added Stonespire Castle west of Dragonbridge. I run an army of around 30 followers that via AFT are in constant service for me.

Some homes from former careers are still there, because they look so nice, but I do not use them anymore. Sutvaka and Windstad Manor are my primary places. Two kids in Breezehome, however. Key to handle little monsters is to keep them at a distance.
Try having SIX. I always felt sorry for the ones I couldn't adopt so I use an adoption mod that ups the number to six, but I don't think it adds any extra orphans to the game so at least I can get the truly homeless ones from Hearthfire off the streets and still have room for a couple more. I usually take at least one from the orphanage just to clear the quest that pops up for it.

It really IS better to keep them tucked away in some nice warm home you rarely visit, though. So far my preferred place for that has been Heljarchen, the HF estate in Dawnstar. I like its central location and nearness to Whiterun, which when all is said and done usually ends up being my primary "city" residence. I tried making Windhelm my primary location and wish I could be happy with that but the location is just too remote. It's still my favorite house and the one I find easiest to mod for what I want without turning it into an obvious Nord Tardis that is WAY bigger on the inside.

The kids will usually live either in Whiterun or Heljarchen, once I have them, depending on the state of the civil war. I wouldn't want them living some place that is going to be coming under fire... also with Civil War Overhaul installed just moving around without drawing aggro in enemy territory is impossible unless you're disguised, so I kinda have to keep the kids in friendly territory if I have them when I start that questline. I've had them living in Honeyside for a bit when that was my only friendly option, but it's not a longterm solution IMO.

I could never have the kids live in Winstad, Hjaalmarch and that whole swamp area is just too creepy for me. The place in Falkreath isn't bad even though that's not my favorite hold either, but it is a bit more accessible. It's just such a cramped area up on that ridge where it sits. And I really do prefer the wide open spaces around Whiterun, I just wish the weather at Heljarchen was as temperate as it is down around the city.

Honestly I think I've played Skyrim too long and know too much, because when I'm in the game and start a family the list of places I'm *willing* to have them live is very, very small. Solitude? No. I don't like it up there, and only go there when I have to or it's the most convenient stopover on a current excursion. (Plus the house is so expensive it's often the last one I get.) Riften? I don't mind it, but it's not a place I'd want to raise kids, too much shady stuff going on there. Windhelm would be fine if not for the out of the way location. Hjaalmarch - no. Falkreath - meh. Markarth - OH GODS NO.

Doesn't leave much, and I really don't care for the mods that add new homes/manors/estates, I've tried a few and they just clutter up the landscape IMO. Lately I've been in the habit of removing mods that add stuff that I feel just crowds up the environment, I ditched Interesting NPCs for that reason, although it was wonderfully done and some of the people and quests it added were very cool. However it added so many NPCs in so many places that I felt *should* have been left alone, or that broke my immersion just a little too much.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote