View Single Post
Old 11-02-07, 02:26 PM   #17
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I think the CZ SSP was the best thing this scenario had going for it. A detection in a CZ means you get to transition from the "waiting for contact" phase and transition into the hunting phase. I suppose if 2nd CZ contacts don't occur here that makes the hunt a bit easer, but you still don't know your opponents course or speed and there is no guarantee that your opponent will cooperate and go in a straight line for you. There is also a serious risk of counterdetection as you attempt to position yourself to reacquire the target. The 30 mile issue is annoying, but it's all we've got in DW, and the realism problem it presents is somewhat offset by the knowledge that a sub skipper can discover what the CZ interval is by observing other contacts. I think the idea that there is an "exploit" here is a bit exaggerated, especially when you consider that you already have ROE in place that preclude an immediate shot on a contact.

The biggest problem you have in this scenario is that so much of it boils down to a crap shoot. Whether the 688I passes through the zone undetected is about 90% luck, 5% intuition, and 5% player competence. If and when that happens, you might get a decent <10nm knife fight that lasts 5 minutes. After you've geen staring at a blank sonar for 3 hours. CZ at least creates a possibility that there is going to be a contest as an Akula tries to get into position to make an intercept after a CZ detection. You still have to be lucky to get that CZ detection, but at least once that happens it gets really interesting for the next hour. And if you get to take (or are able to prevent) that shot at the end, at least you spent that hour or so earning it instead of waiting to get lucky.