Thread: New PC build
View Single Post
Old 01-16-18, 01:53 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Honestly said, building a new system on the premise to make Win7 running on it, is pointless by now. The situation with W7 has been systematically messed up by Microsoft like with W10.

If you do work and private stuff on the rig, or do shopping and banking on it, I would not run with W7 anymore, but then, I would also not run W10, but Linux.

I planned to do so myself last year, getting a new system and Win7 running on it, but then decided, after testing it and bogging down deeper and deeper into a stinking swamp named Microsoft policy, that it was not worth it any longer.

The latest patches and messups committed by Microsoft in the wake of Meltdown and Spectre 1 and Spectre 2, do not make it any better, and will not make it any better in the future (they only mitigate, btw, an attack - they do not close security holes, that is not possible via software and BIOS and firmware updates). Especially when using AMD processors. There have been so many patches by now and them braking more things than they did good, that nobody seems to know anythign for sure anymore, and the confusion is complete. Conidering that there still are no known exploits due from Meltdown and Spectre1+2 conducted, the aptches so far have done incrodbly much more damage, than the exploits they claim to adress.

If you are not gaming: get a cheap machine, get Linux Mint on it, and forget about it all. Windows is only needed for professional use of professional software, and gaming.

Be advised that currently even VM functionality of VMs under Linux is messed up, due to Kernel changes after Meltdown and Spectre. Its a mess, a mess a mess.

Also be advised that you cannot avoid the broken oatches by Microsoft endlessly, at some point they will be installed to your machine, even against your will and against your settings. Rcently, buld 1703 was pushed to 1709 on many machines even with users having set options to prevent that. Microsoft owns your hardware and does on it what it wants, they do not ask you anymore. And if what they do brakes your system - your problem. Many AMD users just learned this lesson once again in the past days.

Consider to invest just into a cheap, temporary solutions, and go for the main solution in two or three years. With new chips that do not suffer performance losses due to "patches".