View Single Post
Old 07-07-07, 07:35 PM   #57
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Its not just flooding times i have increased this is just an eye candy. I guess you havent tried the mod right?

I want to say that the both mods are not quite about same thing. While "die slowly" is much more about how the ship is taking damage and geting destroyed, Real Sinking Phyisics is much more about sinking mechanics. So much more about how it sinks.

But all the damaging effects like exploding engine rooms and fuel bunkers are also in here it all works the same. Also i have different sinking mechanics for different type of cargo. Fuel in example is lighter then water and ships with fuel bunkers intakt will more likely stay afloat. Fuelbunkers will also flood longer because it must be replaced with water etc... there are just few examples.

Basicly what i am trying here is to get away from overall hitpoints. We are not playing quake after all. Thats a good example. When you get hit with a bullet you die not because your hitpoints are all gone but because you lose blood or your heart stopped beating.

Same with ships. Naturaly ships sink not because they have no more hitpoints but because they have took to much water. Physicaly that means to sink a ship you must increase the total weight of the ship over the weight of the water that ship displace. In other words there is no way around, to sink a ship you must fill it with water. Be it by making holes in its hull or capsizing it. If you want to sink it, put water in, in one way or another.

So Hitpoints are not that important. Give a ship one million hitpoints and you can still sink it by puting more water inside then it can take to stay afloat.

Now the problem with stock (and "die slowly") is that the hitpoints are in most cases consumed first, before the ship realy has a chance to be filled with water. And when the ship loses its all hitpoints it instantly fills all its compartments and sinks in a very unrealistic way (like a stone).

The problem is not entirely with flooding times but much more with floatability with each compartment. To send it down by flooding you need to destroy to many compartments. In my mod ive increased their floatability. Meaning that each compartment is much more important for floatability of entire ship.

Ill try explain on example.

Lets say we have a vessel with 300 hitpoints and 100 floatability. It has 4 compartments of equal size (to make it easier) and each compartment has a floatability of 35.

Now it takes a torpedo hit with 160 dmg in its first compartment. The compartment fills with water. Overall hitpoints are now reduced to 140 and overall floatability is down to 65.

Another torpedo hits it for 160 dmg in its second compartment. Now it has no more hitpoints and will just explode and sink like a stone but lets ignore this and see what happens with compartments. The overall floatability is now down to 30. One more compartment must be filled to sink it.

Now what i have done with this mod is i have increased the floatability for compartments to lets say 65 each and reduced the torpedo damage by half.

First torpedo hits the first compartment and reduces the hitpoints to 220 and the filling compartment reduces overall floatability down to 35.

Next one reduces the hitpoints to 140 and the filling compartment reduces the floatability to zero. Meaning ships total weight is now higher then its displacement and it starts sinking, not like a stone but like a real ship. Depending on how the water is distributed inside the hull it will maybe flip over one side or dive in with the bow and then break appart like titanic. Thats what this mod is about.