View Single Post
Old 06-18-17, 07:53 PM   #165
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Before I start importing it, I need to know whether I should set it up as a terrain object or as land unit. You have the last word on it, but I insist on the latter option.
It depends. I prefer as terrain object because it's much easier, but we may add them as land units if you want. Side effects can be cured. This has already been explained by me :

As terrain location :

PROS :
+ icon is always visible on the navigation map, it's also possible to add colors to the icon
+ always placed at the same altitude, whatever the depth of the sea
+ no collision spheres to add to the 3D model

CONS:
- 3D model can be hidden underground if placed on land
- not possible to custom the LH with an .eqp file

As land unit :

PROS :
+ will always be placed on the ground
+ possible to custom the LH with an .eqp file

CONS:
- altitude depending on the depth of the sea (3D model submerged in deep areas)
- icon visible on the map only when in visual range, always green icon (for neutral units)
(can be solved by this trick : a land unit with no icon, and a terrain location at exactly the same placement, without 3D model but with an icon always visible on the map)
- collision spheres to add (can be solved by this trick : only the reef is a terrain location (not placed on the sea bed), and the lighthouse is a land unit and is placed directly on the sea bed)

So, why not as land unit, but for what benefits ?

Quote:
but many others can be easily simulated if lighthouses are treated as units rather than being set as static objects. What do you think?
Tou mean attacks by british airplanes ? Lights not working only during war ? I don't guess what you are thinking about ... please clarify.

Quote:
I guess you get by in French much better than I do
What country are you from ?