View Single Post
Old 10-15-18, 11:53 AM   #18
Master
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

I'm one of the guilty party for asking for more manual control.

A lot of the control we have right now is "on/off" controls for things that should have analog valve controls.

The dive control is probably the worst offender. You have to have a guy go up to a valve and "fill" or "blow" the tank every time you want to dive or surface.

That would be ok except that the AI doesnt use a standard crew for it. You have to assign one of your 5 officers and those officers are generally already doing something needed. So they have to run all the way across the board hit the dive valve and then run back to their position.

Then the dive tanks are wonky and you will run into situation where the rear of the ship just wont submerge and after 20 minutes of trying to submerge the ship your ass is still hanging out of the water. (probably a bug) or you will be running under water and the rear of the ship will just sink all the way to the ocean floor.

There doesnt seem to be any neutral buoyancy control. Like I said the tank valve is either filled with water or air. But there appears to be "some" sort of in between the game is auto managing for you because you have a "buoyancy gauge that goes from 100% buoyant (tanks filled with air) to -100% buoyant with the tanks filled with water. But sometimes it goes to 0 neutral and you are ok.

I think the time compression breaks the buoyancy tanks. Most of the times I run into problems are when I accelerate time while under water and the tanks just freak out and the sub sinks.

Also, there is no manual dive controls for the dive planes and no manual rudder control. All you can do is set a course on the map or go to 3rd person and there is a compass/ angle tool where you can set a new heading. But if you are under water that compass tool doesnt work more than half the time so you end up setting heading on the map.

The map doesnt stay centered on your position and you have no over map if you turn your gyrocompass off. So you run into situations where you need to quickly set a course change to avoid something and you cant.

Also when you do set a direction the ship seems to just rotate itself like its using a trolling motor or it has tank treads.

with all that said. I really like it. Even if they dont make it "more simulation" than it is right now I think it will be a successful sub game. It's not the one "we" all want (probably) but it's fun and has a good chance of being more popular in the general public.

It's more b17II than DCS and I know we all wants DCS but it's hard to be picky when no one else is releasing any sub games. You take what you can get and I think they are doing a good job with this.

I'm also more than willing to help them in any way they need. They just need to ask and i'm there!

At the end of the day I can rant for hours and hours about how inaccurate this game is... but it's a sub sim, it's fun and they seem to be passionate about their sim so i'm not going to complain about it. if this is the direction they want to go then i'll support them on it.

It's good, I like it, It will get better and everyone should go out and buy it when it goes on sale!

p.s. A huge issue for me going into this was their idea of time compression. I hated the idea they were offering but I bought into it anyways because it's a sub game.

But to be honest what they have right now works. It's a little wonky but it plays just like the SH series does. The only difference is that the time doesnt seem to sync very well. It is really hard to explain and I am not exactly sure how it works but there isnt any "warping" or anything like I initially feared there would be.

It's not perfect but it works and anyone who specifically held off on buying it for fear of the time/skip/warp/acceleration issue should rest at ease knowing that it isnt as bad as it seemed like it would be from their KS writeup.

Last edited by Master; 10-15-18 at 12:03 PM.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote