View Single Post
Old 07-07-17, 03:23 AM   #3
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
It is nice to read the stories. But many stories just don't get written and they are probably the most interesting. Sure, most patrols, even in '68 or '84, were standard in most ways but it would be nice to feel the emotions for sailing on the dark side.

A friend, who has passed away, was a sailor on a sub that sailed into Tokyo Harbor before the end of WWII. He was never recognized, nor received any benefits. I only knew him for six months before he passed and I found a picture of men on deck for his boat and he pointed to himself. I think he was a member of the Greatest Generation.

Suddenly, I just feel grateful.
Well, I'm kind of struggling with it (not nearly as good at it / as easy as I thought it would be) but I'm also trying to put something of a video together for youtube to both show off the mod (in all of its soviet-looking goodness) and show how to play as some of these old boats.

Once I got everything together I went in and started the 1968 campaign with a random boat. Obviously I didn't know what I was going to get but, one look down that list and its like the island of misfit toys, you have old tired diesel boats, strange one-offs like the Triton and Tullibee and then you have your borderline outdated stuff like your Skates and the Seawolf.

Anyways, what I ended up getting was USS Tirante, a Guppy IIA (Tench) class. I knew the name sounds familiar but I didn't think anything of it until after the first mission was over. Turns out this was the boat that Ned Beach (as in Run Silent Run Deep) was XO on. George Street was the captain and he won the medal of honor for one of the most daring attacks ever made running in on the surface in shallow water.

Its an amazing thing to consider how many of these old boats served for so long. On the note of your friend, do you follow Jive Turkey on youtube, just today he revealed that he experienced the sudden loss of somebody who became a good friend to him who had served as a Chemical Safety Officer in the Soviet Navy.

Its sad to lose these people because with each passing day the world gets one step closer to forgetting.