View Single Post
Old 12-21-12, 07:59 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I would go with the FSX lessons. I did not use them, since I am with FS since the '98 version anbd have learned the stuff back then already and the principles of navigation remain the same. But I know these lessons are there still there in FSX.

Now, you sound as if you want to go serious into the depth of the matter.

Well, then remember that FSX by default is a toy. The flightmodels are not polished, nor are the cockpit functionalities. If you really have discovered your love for the matter, thenm do it substantially, and correct. And that em ans bypass the default airplanes.

1. pick one good addon for a good sporting plane or a small 6-8 seater, and learn to master the - hopefully indepth - cockpit, basic VFR flying and landing.

2. Learn the theroetic groundwork of modern IFR.

3. pick one good airliner addon.

Point 1, I do not claim to know all the small birds out there, there are so many, and some of them are more sophisticatedly modelled than others, I assume. The only experience I can list is either the realair SIAI Marchetti SF260, or the Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne. The Cheyenne I do not know in its FSX incranation, but I know it from FS9 - and there it was in a class of its own, outside competition. Flying it is not easy at low speeds and in approach, landing. But the model is crystal sharp, the cockpit ios fully (!) functional, the realism is extremely high. Mastering it, is a chgallenge, yes, But it is so much more rewarding than doing an easy toy thing and being good with it after 20 minutes! I have nothing but praise for the Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne, FS9. The FSX can still be had at aerosoft, and other shops. By its size, it also is a nice segment. The flightmodel is - well, you immediately feel the difference between the default "toys", and good addons. The difference feels tremendous at times. The Cheyenne is well-b ehaved at trip speeds, but during approach and landing speeds, she demands quite some concentration and foresight. Add to this a complete avionice environment, and superb textures.

Check Youtube.

BTW, I assume you fly from Virtual cockpit exclusively. It gives the best experience - but only when using TrackIR. This is a must-have that you should consider as an item to aim for if you do not have it. For me it changed flightsimming completely.

Next, IFR, instruments, navigation. Check what FSX has to offer there. Or look in a bookshop for a book on fightsimualtor programs, suually X-Plane or FS. It doe snot matter whether it is an old book for an old version - the explanation of VORs, NDBs, how to use which instrument to do what kind of navigation remains the same. An older book you may get for cheap price, maybe. You may want to couple your effort with the cheynenne or a compoaravbly complex aircraft with teaching yourself on the art of navigation and IFR. It sounds intimidating, but essentially it is not difficult at all once you understood the basic concepts. Some things however should be understood pefectly. Makes life that mjuch easier. For example to realise which compass directions corresponds to what degrees for a course. Much of that however is coming with routine.

Not before then you are ready for the real big birds, airliners. There are several good packages out there, of varying degrees of system-depth simulation, I reocmmend you go with a 737, for three reasons. First, the Boeings are better simulated and represenmted in the FSX world than Airbusses are. Second, for the 737 you have TWO very good packages avalable to chose from, and third, there is a nice book for the old FS9-version of POMDG737NG (no X) which weas for their FS9 model from several y<ars ago, a book that got translated form German to Egnlish and were a real 737 pilot talks you through all phases of preflight, flight and after flight on basis of refering to the 737 software, and chapter for chapter talks you through the tehcnical details of allmost everything in the cockpit. IO have the same book, bvrandnew, in German for the FSX version, which essentially is just an updated reprint. It'S probably the best book I ever owned on flight simming. But it demands already some understanding of the basic functionality of the ultra-complex PMDG737NGX (FSX). The German old book now is referred to the the "737 bible" in German-peaking community, and was so successful that they also had an English version. Possible that the new book also gets released in English sooner or later.

Tim Rommen: 737NG (737NGX) - You have control

Now. You can go with the PMDG737NGX, which is the ultimate journey you can choose. 3500 pages of manuals. Procedure lkists and quick access handbooks done after the xample of the original Boeiong manuals. And yes, all that stuff functions, painstakingly simulated down to even the smallest details and nuances. I foun d it easy to get into this monster, sionce I knew the 737 for years before. I assume for a new flyer, the challenge can be intimidating. But it is worth it. And not just functionally but also visually this thing is running beside all competions, in a league of its own.

Your second option is the 737 by Chinese (!) development team iFly, which I know from the FS9 version, buit also claims high credentials in its FSX incarnation. In FS), this was the best airliner package I ever tried, point. It even left the other PMDG programs in FS9 behind. It maybe is more for you, when you are totally new to all this stuff. It is complex, but not as lethally complex as the PMDG 737, it is visually extremely well done, though not as superior as the PMDG737. Taken for itself, this is premium content, too. One canot go wrong there. And the sytem depth is not as tremednous and the FMC not modelled that detailed as in the PMDG package. However, the HUD looks clearly inferior to that of the PMDG737.

Your other options are this: PMDG is a prime developer of aircraft packages, they also did the 747, which I also klnew from FS9. Taken for itself still very good, but living in the shadow of the mighty 737NGX now. But easier. And then there is the brandnew Aerosoft Airbus A320 Extended Version (an enhanced version of their package from 2010). Cannot comment on it, I do not know it, but said to be the best Airbus simulator out there, and already getting good customer feedback. It is not on the level of the 737NGX, but like the other planes I mentioned settles down at a lower level wehre there is a market-oriented balance between realism and accessability. I would check that one out, too.

I know all this costs money, and takes time to learn. But that is what gives you the best you can get from flight simming, the more it turns into a study sim, the more rewarding it all is. The feeling of accomplishment is more intense when you start to master a complex plane. Playing with the easy things and small planes, will start to bore you sooner or later.

Also consider that the textures of the virtual cockpits in FSX cannot compete with the photorealism the latest packages offer. The default ones were good at their time, though already then behind what addons offered, but today, they are hopelessly inferior.

Check Google for sites teaching the fundamentals of how navigation, flight planning and instruments function.

If you are seriously getting involved and wanmt to do international flights, you sooner or later will invest in a flight planning software, a replacement package for weather teaxtures, and a weather files downloader. I have REX and Active Sky on mind.

If you have two fapovurite airports oyu love to trip between, consider to invest in available airport addon packaghes for thse two. Having a superior model of the real facilities with ground traffic, all taxi signs, lighting, and photorealism, is so much more intense an experience during landing and take off and taxing, especially at night or in bad weather, fog etc. I have moved away from general world packages like Global or GEX, because at airliner's altitude all that means nothing to me but costs resources. But good airport representations I today rate as must-haves.

You ust not do and get all thjis in one rush. I assume money is a factor. Do it step by step. So did I. And I am with flightsimming since - well, since almost twenty years now, now counting the Amiga days. It's like with a model railroad - the project never ends, the working non it never ends, the tweaking never ends. Make it a hobby, therefore.