View Single Post
Old 01-26-09, 01:19 AM   #73
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Thanks. Received and reviewed. You should have my response by now.

For the benefit of others, this was an example of the "upgrade before first patrol" stock SH3 bug. There's really nothing SH3Cmdr can do about this; sure, I could trap the error, then look at the Log_0.cfg file and get the correct career start date from it, but that doesn't fix up the missing renown or ship sunk data that are also symptoms of this bug. And TBH I have no intention of writing another 100 lines of code to correct another stock SH3 bug (there's enough lines like that in there already, LOL!), especially when there is a well known and advertised way to avoid the problem in the first place.

And that is?

Don't upgrade your boat before you start your first patrol in a new career. Alternatively, if you feel you must do so, then save just before docking at the end of the patrol. If you do then get the bug, it seems that re-loading the save game and re-docking fixes it.

In summary, if you receive an "Invalid argument to date encode" error when attempting to create a Personnel File in SH3Cmdr it will be because of this bug. You can confirm for yourself by opening Patrols.cfg and checking the StartYear, StartMonth and StartDay values under [PATROLS 000]. If they are all 0, then you have caught the bug. You'll also notice 0 ships sunk, 0 tonnage sunk and 0 renown received, and a few others that I've forgotten now.

Unfortunately this is just one of those stock bugs that is not practical to work around in SH3Cmdr.

Last edited by JScones; 01-26-09 at 01:35 AM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote