View Single Post
Old 10-11-17, 11:34 PM   #18
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

The big problem I found with the new library computer system here in LA is what I mentioned before: poor data input. Say you were looking for materials on u-boats; you not only would have search for u-boat, you might need to also search for uboat and/or possible misspellings such as ubaot or ubot. Same with names; looking for Robert?; you'll also need to search for Bob, Rob, Robby, etc. ...

I've spent an awful lot of time in climate-controlled computer rooms and it never really bothered me; I'm originally from San Francisco and grew up in a city where the average temperature was in the mid-60s. While others complained, I enjoyed. Besides, one keeps better at low temperatures...

The "luggable" was actually a pretty sturdy machine (unless, of course, it was used to clear stairwells); I've had to service and upgrade several of them back in the day and once the outer case is opened, there is mass of interlocking steel cages surrounding the innards; it was always a struggle to put it all back together...

<O>