View Single Post
Old 12-20-18, 08:59 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
1) Currently in a Tambor & it's Feb., '42. Can I expect to have access to surface radar anytime soon? On a similar note, in SH3 using one's radar invites possible detection by Brits or Americans. I've heard this isn't as risky in SH4; something about the Japanese not all that into installing their own radar detection or, for that matter, radar itself until the late war...

the IJN was not as keen on radar and radar detection as the Allies. they got better in 1944 and 1945. you can always turn your radar off once you've detected your enemy. that is what i do.

Quote:
2) Seems I've a vague memory of others having troubles installing a deck gun with bow emplacement; ring a bell with anyone?

yes, if you start your career with a stern gun and accept an upgrade to a bow gun, your crew stations for the gun will disappear. the only official work-around is to select a boat with a bow gun and stick with it for your whole career.
if that does not fit your plans, you can fix the crew stations thing but you will need notepad/edit skills in order to modify the save file.
Quote:
3) In SH3, you always knew how much deck gun and AA gun ammo you had available.. no such info appears available in SH4. Is it unlimited or do you just run out without warning?
you have to go to the gun station to see the available ammo load. for boats/guns with more than one ammo available, you will need to click on each of the shells to see the remaining ammo.

Quote:
4) Tambor's got an alleged 11,000 mile (nautical mile?) range. Impressive, but the size of the Pacific's impressive also. In SH3 there's a best speed for optimal range. Is there one for SH4?
there is no comparable feature for this in SH4. having said that, you have a fuel status graphic on the HUD. and there are a couple of commands that are available however you will need to modify the Command.cfg file to use them. you will need some notepad/edit skills or use jimimadrid's keymapper tool in the downloads area.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4715
as far as best speed is concerned, standard speed or a knot or two less usually works the best. depends on the boat.

Quote:
5) My crew's been shouting and screaming for the past 3 thousand miles. Any way to shut them up?
there is a fix for that.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2755

good luck. and good hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 01-01-19 at 05:27 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote