View Single Post
Old 04-18-18, 08:23 AM   #477
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Its been a long time.

Sim racing has taken over my gaming completely, since years, my two main titles used are Assetto Corsa, and Raceroom. Two very different business models, and two very different strategies to approach the future.

I have been with AC from all beginning on, since rlease of the tech demo, and then thorugh the Early Access program, and then the full living time of the title. And now, actually already some months ago, the active development on Ac has come to an end. Not to my surprise, since they said they would support it until 2018 from all begining on, already said so in 2014, I think even 2013 - but to the surprise and disappointment of quite some people.

To me it remains to be the one racing simulator which provides me with the greatest, most realistic driving experience and most sublime physics handling. It is not all perfect, it has its a bit weaker sides as well, but regarding physicsa and driving, exterior and interior car modelling, Kunos is at the top.

I use it all in VR now (Oculus), and sinc elast posting have chnaged my contorls as well, now using Fanatec Club Sports Pedals v3 and Fanatec CSL Elite PS4, and both devices make a very huge difference, I can full-heartly reocmmend them.

Anyway, Kunos has announced they secured the license for the Blancpain series for this and next year, and that serie sis what they focus on. The Early Access will be launched htis summer, and yes, there will be night racing, dynamic time of day, endurance racing, and dynamic weather inclduing rain. The released screenshots using the Unreal 4 engine look mouthwatering, in parts can hardly be differentiated from real photos. I think it all is in good hands. Even the AI .

Thought that now that modding - AC is the most activately modded racing title on the market currently, and since years) slowly seems to ebb down a bit, too, and no more official development is being done, I check which mod tracks, additional to the always great official DLCs, now have formed up to be the most used by me, considering them to be the best there are in looks, physics, realism. Lets see my track folder:

Aspertsham
Aviano
Barbagallo
Bilsterberg
Bridgehampton
Grobnik
Karelia
Lilski's Watkins Glen
Luccaring
Midohio
Mills Motorpark
Oschersleben
Pau
Riverside
Road America
Road Atlanta
Sebring
Transfagarasan Pass
Virginia

These track mods are all looking good and provide great driving environments and realistic physics. I left out some former chmapions of mine, which I did not use thta much any more over time, or prefer in their incarnations in Raceroom. One of the pro arguments for Raceroom is its official track poll, no other sims delivers so many so great and visually masterfully "painted" tracks, like Raceroom.

If you are late to the AC party, don't worry to nevertheless jopin this late in time, the communitxy is sitll very much alive, the online environment is tezcncially very fit and solid, modders still breath life into the sim, and I would sday it still has many years of life ahead of it, even with Assetto corsa Competizione being aorudn the door. Weaknesses of the sim, for exmaple the AI, has long since been healed out, Kunos left the title in a techncially very good condition, and left no major holes untreated.

BTW, the track Bilsterberg is no longer available for download anywhere, since the auhtor sold it long time ago to the real world Bilsterberg owners. If you meet somebody who can provide you a copy, keep that copy holy and precious, the track drives fanastical, and the AI handles it well, too. Its one of my most driven tracks ever, I just love it, even if the author broke off the work a little bit before all and everythign got finished. He left in anger, when Kunos closed its official modding forums in I think 2016.

And Aviano is a relatively new track mod, which I inbclude again for one reason only: it provides a fantastic flow experience on track. It is a conversion from its ancestor for Kunos' old net Kart. And in that old sim I considered it to be th ebest track available.

Finally, Aspertsham, which is a photorealstic recreastion of a real world roudncoruse around a Bavarian village. Not so much to be used for racing, it provides a visually stunning driving experience in a world that looks and feels almost real. Think of it as a hotlapper or demonstrator - but one that is so good that I included in in this list of actual racing tracks.

I excluded tracks that are popular but illegal/unethical (pirated stuff, unauthorised conversions).

Happy racing! Next stop Assetto Corsa Competizione - The official Blancpain Series Game.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-18-18 at 08:33 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote