View Single Post
Old 09-26-18, 07:56 AM   #13
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

I really appreciate the condolences gentlemen. Please know they truly mean a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

Another thing to consider when riding is to always wear full protective gear. It can make all the difference between life and death, or at the very least between an "oh crap, I scratched up my bike" and a "oh crap, I've got road rash all over me and scratched up my bike" moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Sorry for your loss, it's always a hard wake up call that reminds us how fragile we are on motorcycles.

spare no expense on the helmet to add to Schroeder's advice, it can mean all the difference in staying alive and that you're still 'you' and not a vegetable plant on a breathing apparatus after a accident.

When I posted this thread, I was looking for a “ Silver Lining “ if there was one to be found, in this sad event. Both of you have provided that with regards to your excellent advice on motorcycle helmets. When I mentioned Subsim motorcycle riders in this thread, I was thinking specifically about Hunter ICX, Schroeder and Neal. I know that all of you ride motorcycles as well. I'm not certain on the helmet our friend was using but I know for sure he was wearing a helmet.

All helmets are not made the same. I personally use DOT and Snell rated full face helmets. There has been some controversy regarding manipulation of the Snell rating system and they may not be as good as previous thought. The ECE 22.05 (Economic Commission for Europe ) Helmet Standard employs a more rigorous testing standard and those helmets with that certification are among the best available helmets. They are made utilizing fiber glass and carbon fiber composites for the shell. Most helmets like mine also have an advanced venting systems to flow air through the interior and exhaust air out the back of the helmets, thus reducing fatigue.

Schroeder and Hunter had mentioned equipment and that extends into having a good pair of boots that cover and protect the ankles and a jacket with protection in the shoulders and elbows. Further, if anyone is contemplating buying and riding a motorcycle, and on a budget, factor the cost of protective equipment like helmets and such into the final cost. As Schroeder and Hunter already said, they could save your life and a lot of heart ache.

Another thing I would add would be the motorcycle safety course. In a number of states in the U.S, they are mandatory for anyone seeking a motorcycle license and under the age of 18. In my case, I was riding motorcycles since I was between 7-8. One might think I would learn little in such a course. That's not the case as I learned volumes and employ most if not everything I learned in these courses.

It's a fact that as people age, their reflexes slow down a bit relative to their younger motorcycling counterparts. The safety courses not only teach one how to maneuver their respective motorcycle in emergency situations but actually how to look ahead and anticipate the emerging situations which may pose a danger. Once the material of the course are incorporated into your driving, they become second nature and make you a better and more complete driver. The main things these courses do is to help you develop that “ vision “ that not only helps you identify exit routes in an emergency situations but also to help the motorcycle rider entirely avoid the emerging danger completely. Through these courses, older riders can effectively compensate for slower reflex time, if they truly exist and safely ride within their own their own abilities and envelope. I ride cruisers and stay within the speed limits and limits of the road surface. In this way, I can enjoy the outdoors while staying within the limits of the road conditions and my motorcycle.

You can't control other drivers and or wildlife crossing paths with you while you ride. What you can do through these courses is learn the skills to effectively control your own responses and compensate for the dangers of the road which in turn help to mitigate the dangers of riding to an acceptable level of risk. These courses are available for a nominal fee through the department of transportation in your respective state and in some states, may be free of charge. They are also available through other outlets. Make sure they are certified courses taught be certified instructors. As a bonus, if you successfully complete the state certified course, you may be eligible for a reduction in insurance premiums between 5% to 25 %. That's quite an incentive.

One thing I have told our students. “ Don't ride faster than your Angels can fly.” Stay safe everyone and safe travels to Hunter ICX, Schroeder, Neal and everyone else who ride motorcycles.

*Update * The girlfriend of the young man who was killed and whom we also know and are friends with is having a rough time with his death, as expected. She is barely speaking so our efforts are directed toward helping her through this if we can.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 09-26-18 at 08:07 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote