View Single Post
Old 06-21-18, 12:13 AM   #12
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0

yup! your right colonel, good shot to, I agree with you , no, I know that 100 percent is all that's needed, and it really is about getting at least one or some of the torpedoes to hit, I agree with everything you just said.

but I would just like to add something you said in last post, when you showed the pic of the nac, and oac, you said that the 90 angle was just a coincidence, im going to have to disagree with you on that, and i wrote the rest of this earlier today as well, so I might not be up to date with the post as far as replies, so bear with me, anyway, what I have to say is below.

i think its from being a coincidence colonel, it's a 45-45 right triangle, with one look at the range to target, legs lengths of the triangle are known, and then one simple multiplication problem and the length of the hypotenuse in known, so what do you have, you have a triangle with all three side lengths known, your dealing with an isosceles triangle, both base angles are congruent, the sides opposite those angles are congruent, the interior angles, 45, 45, 90, add to 180. this is only reinforcing my belief that these firing methods are based on geometric principles of the rt, so maybe the check bearing method could be a 30-60 right triangle, another well known and established geometric shape with known characteristics, i don't think there is any coincidence colonel.
there are three methods to fire, and there just happens to be three special cases of the right triangle, the regular right triangle, the 45-45 rt, and the 30-60 rt, this is way more than a coincidence colonel.
you said that the constant bearing method encompasses all bearings, so if that's the case, then only one method would be needed right? then what are the other two methods for, the same thing? of course not , they are similar but different methods, it has to be angles that make the method, what else could it be?

as far as your picture to find the coverage, the length would subtend a certain amount of degrees, you would divide that by the number of torpedoes fired, to determine the coverage, so if a target subtends 5 degrees and you want to fire 4 torpedoes at it, the coverage would be one hundred and twenty-five percent.
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote