View Single Post
Old 09-29-15, 02:50 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default a Monkey to a Mousetrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
What? The USSR(under Stalin as it kinda mellowed out after he died) was bad yes but the Nazi's were a a million steps above them.
It depends where you start the body count...I'll call it near even as Soviet records are...spotty. http://necrometrics.com/20c5m.htm#RCW Russian Revolution 1917-1922: 9 million; Stalin 1924-1953: 30 million. 28M civilians and 14M soldiers died in the European War. That's 42,000,000 deaths which can probably be blamed on Hitler to one extent or another..not including the 6 million of the death camp holocaust. With those numbers there are no 'good guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn
Please, explain yourself. Seems that you are considering the third reich like the devil !
CLOSE but opposite: Churchill: “If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil (Stalin) in the House of Commons". http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/churchills-deal-with-the-devil/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukonig
Speaking as someone whose relatives fled Nazi Germany (and those who could not and suffered under its jackbooted heel), I can say that they were a very nasty bunch. Russia under stalin was little different, and it would be like forcing people to choose between the horrible and the terrible.
We know the majority of the crimes the nazis carried out on their own citizens, and we know that Russia was under an iron curtain, thus concealing a lot of their own, but, neither one was the model of good government.
Rule 4 of war: the enemy of my enemy ...is my friend...actually helps rule 1: "In ALL things be strong!" obviated any morality; the creation of a two-front war and the acquisition of a huge fighting force (increase'd firepower)... of endless Russians made for perverse wartime political bedfellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoeskr76 View Post
But speeking of Soviet Russia I have to add the following: The western allies knew, that the Soviet leaders were a bunch of murderers. They knew of the war the bolsheviks waged against their own people (before WW2 started) in the 1930s which resulted in millions dead Russians. The bolsheviks killed their own people with pistols, gulags and hunger.

But this didn't mattered to the US government then, Roosevelt saw Stalin as good old uncle Joe.

The western allies knew that they were teaming up with murdererers.
Churchill in defense of the pact with 'Uncle Joe': "No one has been a more consistent opponent of Communism for the last twenty-five years. I will unsay no word I have spoken about it. But all this fades away before the spectacle which is now unfolding. The past, with its crimes, its follies, its tragedies, flashes away.… The Russian danger is therefore our danger, and the danger of the United States, just as the cause of any Russian fighting for hearth and house is the cause of free men and free peoples in every quarter of the globe.” Roosevelt was as cunning as Churchill and under no illusions about ol' Joe. He'd learned much from his cousin Teddy....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-29-15 at 03:15 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote