View Single Post
Old 02-26-15, 09:27 PM   #608
gordonmull
Lieutenant

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Well don't believe it then. No skin off my nose. The last thing I would want to do is get between an addict and his fix.

For the record I have talked with both my GP and and my Cardiologist and their opinions about E-Cigs are pretty much as I have already told you. It's just easier to post the WebMD link than bring them to the keyboard to tell you themselves.

Beyond web sites and dissertations though I add my own experience. I belong to the last great (American) smoking generation. We started smoking and in great numbers before the dangers of tobacco use were really taken seriously. Heck I'd been smoking almost a decade before they outlawed cigarette vending machines.

What this means is that over the years I have known and observed the smoking cessation efforts of literally thousands of people, including my attempts (plural) to kick my own 36 year long pack a day habit. It's been my experience that nicotine replacement schemes lessen ones chances of quitting more than enhance them. This is because they draw out and maintain the cycle of addiction. Everyone I know that was successful did it what we call cold turkey.

Now you claim to be on track to stop using E-cigs then if that's true I say good luck to you Sir. I am not saying that you won't be successful but remember that you'll only begin to be really free of the addiction once you stop using nicotine completely.
You couldn't have been more right. Especially your third sentence. I understand it now. I am currently going through cold turkey and it will get better. I haven't smoked in nearly 1 and a half years and over that time I've really only tortured myself, keeping myself in permanent withdrawal for a lot of the time. It's not a great route. Even though I have not smoked for that time it still feels like a hollow victory. I still have to defeat nicotine and unless I do, I'm sunk. I will, of course, but what a journey.

Thank you for trying to make me see the light and thank you for being another person who reinforces the fact that an addict's eyes are blinded. I know that now. You knew me then more than I knew me! I've accepted what I am now, a drug addict. I've demonstrated it quite effectively by changing the delivery method. This stops and it stays stopped. Thank you for trying to help me and remaining calm when I threw it back at you.

8 days off the nic, 1 year and 4 months off the fags. Good luck to all the other subsimmers ridding themselves.
gordonmull is offline   Reply With Quote