View Single Post
Old 11-01-17, 04:16 PM   #5
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Hello,

the WoW models are all acurate, including equipment and weapon details. That comes at the cost of a very high poly count. Also, the texturing (all details have individual texture files) is not ideal for SH3 purposes.

Worse, some of the hulls and details are distorted. Especially guns have often bended barrels, deformed muzzles etc. Considering the overall high quality of the models, I think these defects result from the exporting process.

Many of the hulls, however, are well done and may serve as templates or starting point for new SH3 models. I do not think we should spend too much time on re-working the models for SH3; building them from scratch is likely an easier task for an experienced 3D geek.

One group of models is an exeption -- those created as background decoration for scenarios, such as Operation Dynamo. These models are fairly well done, with reasonable poly counts and often one single texture file. The Goliath tug is an example, the naval trawler/drifter is another. Also Medway Queen, Lorina, and some of the smaller boats look fine.

The model that caught my attention was the HMAS Vampire. I have been thinking of re-doing the V&W destroyers since a while and so I had closer look. The model ist accurate but I realised that it is an Admiralty V leader and not one of the more standard Admiralty Vs and Ws. So, it is not the best representative of that group of destroyers (which anyway was pretty diverse). So, I decided to try what can be done during some brief evening sessions:

... not too bad for a few hours of work ...

@kendras: The HMS Warspite has models of the 45ft motor pinnace and the 45ft fast motorboat. You may consider to use them for the KGV; the textures are individual but may require colour adjustment. There is also a model of the 35ft fast motorboat but I like the one I did better

Sorry for the long text, including the shameless self-advertising

Cheers
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote