View Single Post
Old 08-15-06, 10:03 AM   #1
btaft
Soundman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Opinions wanted

Hello,

I am a long time fan of simulations (driving, flying, subs, etc). I am considering purchasing SB Pro. Money is for the most part not a problem but I don't necessarily want to throw away $125. I have read some of the reviews and they have perked my interest in the type of sim which I have yet to venture into.

1) Immersion: I had purchased SH3 and the one aspect I truely liked about it was that you felt like you were onboard a WWII sub. Does this hold true with SBPro, i.e. does it just feel real

2) Attention to detail: Another aspect I enjoy about a good sim is the level in which things are modeled in the "cockpit" control stations. In a weird way alot of times I enjoy learning how to use the sim more than actually using it in the long term. I still fondly remember the first time I set up a manual solution with no aids in SH3 (manually turning all of the dials etc) and sent the C3 to the bottom. This was even more exciting when I encountered by first BB in the campaign mode and didn't have nearly as much time as I had for the C3 moving at 8 kts :-)

3) Interface: This is kind of a continuation on the above question. SH3 took a little bit to learn but once you did the interface was very intuitive and easy to use in the heat of battle without turning into a RTS clickfest. How does SBPro's interface compare

4) AI: I realize a good portion of this is scripted. How is th AI of your platoon mates. Often I don't like to be the lead in a group of 4 planes or tanks. Is the AI good enough for me to take a secondary position and receive commands from the platoon commander or do I have to run the show.

5) Varaibility: One complaint I have had with SHII is that once you learned how to deal with convoys and lone ships, the sim really became a little boring. It became another exercise in getting in position for another run on another cargo ship that for the most part looked like the last one. I realize that SBPro is comprised of single missions that are scripted but do these scripted missions have enough variability in them such that the enemy AI may try different tactics from one attempt to the next, or if I round a bend in one try and find 4 T-72s can I expect to find the same 4 T-72s in the same position next time. Along these lines I feel well scripted single mission can often be more fun than some of the best dynamic campaigns

6) Hardware: The last question is in reference to hardware. I have a decent system (AMD X2 4400, 2GB RAM, ATI x1600 512MD). I need to repace my monitor and am considering a 20" LCD (1600 x 1200). Will SBPro run well (FPS of 30) at this resolution with this system with good-excellent details settings.

I realize that there are alot of questions here, but any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett