View Single Post
Old 09-23-18, 08:12 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Saying goodbye to a friend.....

This past week was spent saying goodbye to a 20 year old friend of ours while attending his funeral. He was killed in a motorcycle accident while he was riding, only about half a mile from his destination. It was extremely upsetting, not only for his loss but also seeing the grief of his parents, family and friends. He was doing well in college and his life was blossoming in so many ways. His life was filled with promise.

I have traveled that same stretch of road and I don't really see any particular hazzards. The road is a " tar and chip " road. Dangers can lurk unseen. I mention this tragic incident as a somber reminder not only to those who ride motorcycles but also any motor vehicle. I ride motorcycles as do many here. I know from experience that you can't let your mind wander, even for an instant, while riding a motorcycle or any motor vehicle.

As mentioned, the road was an " oil and chip " surface. It was also a warm day, earlier. I am considering teaching Motorcycle safety in a state sanctioned safety course on a regular basis. If you can save but one life, teaching is worth it.....

I have mentioned the oil in an " oil and chip " surface can leach to the top of the road on hot days to our motorcycle safety students. If you have a rain or dew from condensation, either in the evening or early morning, on top of the oil and chip surface or asphalt, it can make for a slick road condition as if there was ice on the road.

Our friend was killed in the evening. I wanted this accident to serve as a reminder to be careful while riding. All of life is precious, as are those with whom we share it. Stay safe everyone.

This song was played at our friend's Church service. I will post it in the music thread as well.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 09-23-18 at 09:13 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote