View Single Post
Old 04-03-18, 09:53 PM   #38
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
I also attended a safety course before getting my license. My father (who used to race motorcycles quite successfully as an amateur) insisted on it. It really is a good idea. Plus, I got to skip the riding portion of the test at the DMV due to passing the course with a grade of B or above.
I raced on an amateur basis with dirt bikes but the kids I raced against were absolutely fearless and I realized I wasn't willing to push the " envelope " any more than I had already to compete against them. At that point, I stopped racing and don't regret it and have never looked back. I wasn't aware the Safety courses graded like that. Typical of testing like a car, The MSF grading criteria is based on a point system. In the case of motorcycle testing, they do 4 tests to assess your braking and swerving ability and maneuvering in tight quarters, a.k.a the dreaded box maneuver. Essentially, it's just 2 consecutive U- Turns in a confined area. 20 points and below is a passing grade. I didn't need to test at the safety clinic as I already had a license but did so anyhow to see where I was, skill wise, and was assessed 3 points out of 21. Not bad.

As for you Steve, that sounds pretty scary and I doubt that's just getting older. That sounds more like an inner ear issue or Neurological issue. If you haven't had that checked and I'm sure you have, I would get another opinion. Life is too short to go through life with limitations such as the ones you described. By the way Steve, The helmet is a great idea. I always wear a full face helmet on the motorcycle. I remember well the painful welt I had on my cheek for a week from hitting a bee at 60MPH without the full face helmet. Never again. I also wasn't aware that Neil Armstrong Rode a bike. How cool is that ?

My lady once asked me, whats the difference between a Harley motorcycle and a Hoover Vacuum cleaner ?

Answer : On a Harley, the dirtbag sits on top instead of being attached in the back as in the Hoover Vacuum cleaner.

I'm pretty sure that was a horrendous shot at me.

I told her our Hoover was bagless. I guess I showed her.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-03-18 at 10:19 PM.