View Single Post
Old 01-22-16, 04:25 AM   #62
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

22 January - DAY 54 of Winter War

Ladoga Karelia: Soviet troops continue their offensive at Kollaa, on the River Aittojoki and in Ilomantsi.

Mikkeli: General Headquarters turns down the proposal by the Lapland Group to continue their advance to Märkäjärvi. The available forces are to be concentrated to consolidate the ground already taken.

Sortavala in Ladoga Karelia and Ivalo in Lapland are the focus of enemy bombing.

Three Soviet spies dressed in Finnish-style military uniforms have been captured off Ylläppäänniemi on Lake Ladoga.

Finland welcomes foreign volunteers willing to serve in the Finnish armed forces.

Abroad: in Leningrad, staff officers are executed for failing to provide proper protection for field kitchens.

The Norwegian rucksack collection for Finland reaches its goal of 50,000 filled rucksacks, which are duly surrendered to the collection committee.

The monarchist government led by the pretender to the Russian throne, Grand Duke Vladimir, recognizes Finnish independence and urges Russian émigrés to join in the work of freeing their country.

The great Finnish runners Paavo Nurmi and Taisto Mäki set out for the United States to publicize the situation at home and take part in exhibition races on behalf of Finland.

The French Academy invites Jean Sibelius to become an associate member of its composers section.

A correspondent on the English paper News of the World describes the Finns as the equal of the American Indians in forest warfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diary of a Soviet politruk from 6th separate ski battalion
January 22: We left for Vitele. Tiring trip. We skied for 28km and another 13km in trucks. I caught cold. My side and leg hurts. I want to sleep, but its so cold. No letters. I've stopped writing home, too tired. Soon, we'll be at the front and together we shall beat back the White Bandits with all our might.
(Click for larger photo)

Destroyed convoy 4km North of Lemetti.

Daily losses: 178

Last edited by Dowly; 02-12-16 at 03:59 AM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote