Old 03-09-11, 04:37 PM   #39
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I didn't try any plotter tool.

What I was refering to is the Lat/Lon being far off in the PZ's. By that I mean a degree being only 25 or 30 nm instead of the correct 60 or whatever. I made a table with the in-game values so I could calculate interceptions when needed. For some reason every PZ was different (but all were wrong); I could never figure out why. IIRC, the island of Borneo was only about half it's real-life size in the game! I always wanted to change that. Stuff like that just bugs me.
Poor Kim must have tore his hair out making the ENOPTC plotting tool because like you say, they are all off and none are the same-off. I know what you meant by they are off though.

From his Readme:
Quote:
In SH 1 latitude minute is equal to 1 longitude minute and this varies in distance from map to map.

The navigational program actually has corrections factors for longitude as well as latitude – I never dreamt that anyone with any navigational knowledge would so bluntly disregard what any sailor knows – that there is a difference of longitude and latitude minutes in distance, one varies with position and the other is constant. I took me a long time to recognize this, I was full of disbelief.
The (complicated) tool used a large jpg of the PZ and you could navigate using it by calculating course, distance, speed and time. I think one could draw both red and blue lines on this map. Sightings on the in-game big map were only permitted if the weather was not overcast. Pretty hard not being able to zoom out to the big map.

It was a lot of fun back then.......
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote