View Single Post
Old 01-05-13, 10:55 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

My probably last idea: make sure you have no essential driver running as a 32 Bit version if there is 64 Bit and your rig and OS is 64 Bit, too. FSX is a 32 Bit application, that'S why it is always limited to use not more than 4 GB, even if you have 16 GB RAM and x64. But additional RAM helps other applications in the background to move out of the way so that they do not conflict with the RAM needs of FSX. There is a faint chance that any essential driver not being up to date with the 64 Bit of your rig, may collide with FSX, like some dll's are reported to occasionally run into FSX, too.

Make sure your .NET is properly updated, too, it is reported to be an occasionally source of memory issues, too, if it isn't. The error you get must not indicate a problem with memory size, but memory adresses. I think one of the links I posted discusses that a bit.

Do not think your FSX will ever consume 14 of your 16 GB RAM. It never will, but will stop at a limit of 4 GB. When it gets pushed too much at that limit, the page file may help, and if that one fails too or is too slow - then you hit rock bottom.

So far even Prepar3D (Lockheeds further development on basis of FSX) also suffers from this basic limitation, as far as I understand it.