View Single Post
Old 01-08-18, 10:20 PM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

(Part 2)

Oh, did I mention this kit includes a DDS?

The only other time I've seen a DDS (dry deck shelter) modeled was for Dragon's USS Florida kit.
While Dragon nailed the decals their kits have some serious issues, so let's just say I would have been happy if Mikro-Mir supplied a lump I could at least carve into shape. I should also note that DDS fans should check out Mikro-Mir's USS Kamahamaha SSGN kit. It has two DDS included.
The DDS in this kit rocks! While there isn't a ton of detail, there isn't a ton of detail on the real article unless the fiberglass fairings have been removed (the darned thing is supposed to be smooth). The over-all shape looks right and panel lines denote the fairings well enough. The round hatch at the back is nicely detailed and, as other modelers have noted, wouldn't take a lot of effort to be hinged so it operates like IRL.

Along with the "on again, off again" SDV that's included with HB's USS Greenville kit, this is one of the few times you can build some of the USN's "sneaky bits".

This version of the Sturgeon class kit also includes the towed array STASS piping along the side of the hull. The kit parts look fine but you may want to substitute some thin diameter metal tubing or solder for the pipe.

The instruction sheet is fairly short and to the point. I mean, its SHORT! Over half of it is in Cyrillic and if it was any smaller it would be a business card. To be fair, there aren't many steps in the construction, anyway, and Miko-Mir provides the same instructions in PDF format on their web site (which is a nice touch).

So, would I recommend this kit? For the more experienced builder, OH HECK YEAH! Mikro-Mir is the only game in town if you want to build a Sturgeon without carving it out of a chunk of wood.
Just be aware that everything isn't perfect and the kit won't fall together while you're asleep. There are some small problem areas you'll need to deal with, for example the screw is part of the photo-etch parts and the blades will need to be bent into shape. Cutting off and smoothing out parts is a little more "hand's on" than compared to a "gold standard" Hobby Boss kit in the same scale. I've also noticed that at least one of the two parts for the hull is slightly warped fore-to-aft (I'm pretty sure this will straighten out fine during assembly but the warp is still there). There is a raised seam on the upper hull that denotes the break between the black paint and the lower hull paint. This is one of those "mixed blessing" kinds of seams. Its there for all the right reasons but its still there. While the MBT vents look fine on the upper hull the drain ports on the lower hull are not included. This is one of those "50/50" things that other kits have dealt with in the past. If the drains aren't included, not many people will even notice it. If they are included, they won't look right in this scale.

As a beginner type of kit, I'd say to build one or two Hobby Boss sub kits in 1:350 scale before you tackle Mikro-Mir's kits. This tends to be a fairly fiddly scale to work in, anyway.

If you're a fan of Flory Models on YouTube, recall what Phil has said about "limited run" kits in the past. They can be more challenging to build than the mainstream kits BUT they can be the only time you'll see a model of the real subject. While these Mikro-Mir kits aren't "limited runs" in the normal "here today, who knows tomorrow?" meaning, they'll never sell in the same numbers as the mainstream Tamiya and Hobby Boss kits. That being said, I'm impressed with their 637 stretch and their kits in general.

Update- I found a vid that Phil did for a Mikro-Mir aircraft kit. You get a really good look at their kits in general plus (if you pay attention) you'll see what I meant by molding the sprue gate all the way to the inside of the part:

One thing US modelers WILL want to watch out for is price! I've seen these kits offered on Amazon (direct sale from Kiev) and E-Bay (US retailer, in stock?) for between $25 to $35. I got my kit for about $28 plus free shipping last month. I've also seen some US "e-tailers" offering the same kits for over $55, so shop smart.

Last edited by ET2SN; 01-10-18 at 02:24 PM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote