Old 04-23-19, 05:28 PM   #10
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
"Am I to understand that values in the .zon files are (ugh) in metric?"

Yep, Ubisoft is in Romania, one of them heathen European countries that think they're too fashionable to use good old Christian feet and yards. Not a huge problem, meter times 3.3 = feet, yard times 1.1 = meter. Approximately, close enough for the military anyway.

Several other factors though, if your ingame systems screen shows hull damage, 200 feet minus 10% = 180 feet as the new crush depth.

In the default S class;

Hit points = 500
Crash Depth = 122
Crash Speed = 2.0

If you look at SKWAS's notes, most seem to be correct (guy who wrote it wasn't an Ubisoft employee so he's wrong sometimes, but not often), and he notes "crash speed" is the amount of hit points you lose per second below crush depth. 2 per second is 120 per minute, so 4 minutes below 400 feet would use up all the 500 hit points and you're dead. Further complication, below 400 feet for 1 minute, got 500 hit points, lose 120, you're somewhere around 25% hull damage, new crush depth is 400 minus 25 %, 300 feet. Rising to 350 won't do you any good, have to get above 300, but by the time you get there you've taken more damage, now it's 250 feet, um time for an emergency blow? For that reason I changed all my subs to a crash speed of 0.1, so I lose 1 hit point every 10 seconds instead.

Kind of a moot question for creaks and groans though, all my testing back then indicated that the four .wav files play randomly in random order, and pay no attention to actual depth or depth changes. Would have been nice if they programmed it to creak and groan louder and louder as you went deeper, to give fair warning when you were approaching the limit, but they didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Missed one;

"Is there a place where all the crush depth data is stored online?"

Crush depth is theoretical, nobody was ever on a sub that imploded and came back to report the exact depth. Some of the wrecks they found in deep waters did NOT crush, instead the hull fittings failed, letting in fire hydrant water that flooded the compartments before the pressure hull actually reached its limit. You think about the number of holes in the pressure hull for things like exhaust valves, water cooling, toilet flushing, linkage to radio and radar wires, periscope and propeller shafts, ballast tank vents, diving planes, and all the rest there are probably over a hundred seals, valves, and gaskets that could fail before the pressure hull actually collapses.

Arg! Those Godless Commie Bastardos!!!!(joke) Yep, those numbers are "gud enuff fer Gov'ment work" as we say in Texas.

So are you saying there is a baked in -10% to all crush depth setting? I.E: If I want the sub to start crushing near 200, I need to find what is 10% more than that setting? So I really need to put in a setting of 62.484 (220 feet) for it to start crushing around 200?

Yes I'm aware that once you start taking hull damage that percentage takes away from your max crush depth. I do really like that feature. I would try and climb back up, but since I was already diving, the boat sinks a bit more, before responding, allowing more damage to accumulate, meaning you need to get higher. Even playing around and testing caused a rather uncomfortable "pucker" affect on me!

Yea, I read that part in that thread. That is a bummer and a half they didn't do that. Wonder if it was something they intended to do but didn't have time for? Deadlines suck. But still the sounds used do a hell of a lot more to make you feel uneasy about diving so deep than the stock pop, pop, poppity poppop, sounds. I can't imagine how much more terrifying the sound was being surrounded by it.

Yea, that's a good point, I suppose my question should be: Is there a place online (wiki?) that has the "tested" crush depth for each type present in the game? I believe the idea for the "tested" crush depth is: "The ship can dive below the test limit, but at great risk to the ship." That sounds about right for what I'm looking for. As the game, or the mod, allows the ship to exceed crush limits, but doesn't instantly kill you if you do.

Too bad there isn't a range again, to where you can have damage be say: "X based off % of Y" where X is the amount of damage dealt to the hull based on how much of a percentage you've exceed on Y, Y being the crush depth. So 100% gives maybe .1 (just random number), 125% gives .15, 150% gives .2 ect.

Thanks a million and one for your assistance man! I'm thinking we can squash this little annoying bug. I just can't imagine what was adjusted that has caused this. There is no way this is a stock issue is it? I haven't played Stock SH4, in a decade. Maybe I should load in with my stock folder and see if the S-Boats work properly in it.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-24-19 at 01:54 PM.