View Single Post
Old 05-13-21, 03:16 PM   #14
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

that is another bugaboo with me...not only with DB with the other (mostly American) submarine movies...this resting on the bottom.
can't do that.
a sub has too many pumps located on the lower portion of the hull, pumping in either direction, to rest anywhere but in the water. But it's great entertainment isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Numerous US subs did lay to on the bottom when damaged trying to make repairs. Tambor in Feb 1944 in South China Sea comes to mind, 17 hours was on bottom being depth charged USS Seahorse in 1945 off Tsushima Straits, was under 15 hours or so as well, on the bottom. S boat in Aleutians was sinking to crush depth hit a shelf, one in the philippines. Multiple other instances
As Bubblehead has stated (and I'll expand on) diesel boats most certainly can rest on the sea bottom. Most nuc boats cannot, or could not, rest on the bottom due to Main Seawater and Auxiliary Seawater suction and discharge. The exceptions I believe were SSN-575 Seawolf, SSGN-587 Halibut, and SSN-683 Parche. With no reactor plant to keep running, there's no need for a MSW/ASW system or to take a suction from or discharge to the sea while submerged in a diesel boat.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote