Old 02-04-10, 10:18 PM   #37
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnsman View Post
No biggie.

next rig will be a custom build, then I will be able to replace things and upgrade as frequently as I wish/need. Pulling the board on this would be a major chore due to the way its built and mostly the proprietry PSU, its 500W but I dont think thats enough for the new chips.

Question -- when you change the Mobo or PSU what happens with your Windows license?
I do the exact same thing. I like being able to change a component when needed. The big one is when you have to change the mobo. Then you get the license problem, because I think Windows OEM is licensed to a mobo, basically. If you had a retail version, you could move it around. I don't think it matters about power supply, but your proprietary PSU is a pain. There is a documented way to install Windows 7 Upgrade on a clean disk (search Paul Thurrot's site), which can save some money.

BUT. I installed an old disk of Windows XP into a Virtual Machine recently. I hadn't run this version (by which I mean serial number) for a couple of years. When I activated it online, it worked, no problems.