View Single Post
Old 10-26-07, 09:18 PM   #6
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
You mean it has a 30mm in reality too ? :hmm:

as far as I remember, yes. I just checked on the fly with Wikipedia, they also say: 30 mm.
This must be new then. The last time I check it it was still 20mm. 30mm is quite large for such a small copter. But i don't mind, the bigger the better

Quote:
I mean, how does it looks like when a soldier pops up in a window ? There is no interiour you say and the windows are just textures then ?

Windows are textures, soldiers remain invisible inside houses. All you see is the muzzle flashes from wepaons and a puff of msoke when a missile is fired.
Uhh. Does that mean you cannot gun them down then, when they fire from the window ?

Quote:
I agree on the crawling part, it is a high priority for me, yes. But for esim, it seems to be a medium priority only. Has something to do with that infantry again is not the original focus of the sim.
Sooner or later they will surely fix it.

Quote:
What do you mean with HMG's ?

Heavy machine guns. Before they had LMGs and MMGs only.
Heavy you mean something like MG3 ?

Quote:
Move the IFV to the squad, or giove both a movement path to a meeting point or leave the sqaud in place.
No I want to leave the squad where it is and move the IFV but when the IFV is a certain distance away from the squad, it holds on and the squad is running back to the IFV without me ordering it.

Quote:
Once the squad has received an order for itself , it is detached from the IFV, and the IFV can do as it pleases.
I just made a test run again and figured out that when the squad is a closer distance away and I want to move the IFV then the squad returns while the IFV waits. When the squad is much further away then you can go with the IFV where you like, while the squad stay where it is. However when the IFV pass the squad later too close it stops again and take them on board. Can you maybe ask the devs to add a Kriegsgerichts feature so that I can trial them for disobedience ?

Quote:
See above. if you talk about SB1, I do not remember, if you talk about SBP, you do something wrong.
I am still talking about SB1

Quote:
How much bigger are the maps now ?

as big as the mission designer makes them. there is a limit, but I never met it so far. for example, 20x15km and more is no problem.
This is good actually. Is that true that in SB2 the maps will be smaller again ?

Quote:
I somehow get claustrophobia in SB at times. I would like to make some scenarios where you have to cross long distances with missons that goon for hours, where you don't have to expect enemies behind every hill. But SB terrain is a little bit small for my taste.

Keep in my mind that platoons and companies in reality would have preordered movement corridors and phaselines for formation cohesion, else a unit would stray into anothe runits firing zoine and Blue on Blue would occure.
I know but i want to simulate some marches as well and also an territorial in-depth war where the front line is maybe dissolved already and scattered units are all around. Some gunships would be good then to stop some enemy units that break through.

Quote:
I played some missions going for up to 6 hours. But that is not really fun, I promise you. Somebody created the Thunderrun of amerian tanks along the highways in Baghdad, due to the micromanaging I did, I played a sneaking battle. My losses were low, but it took, as I said, over 6 hours. The road is 25 or more km long.
That reminds me on something. As far as I can see rearm and repair can be done now in the field too right ?

Quote:
I doubt there will ever be a flight model of the fidelity you want. that simply is not within the scope of this simulation,
That would be a shame after all for such a fine sim. But sooner or later some of their customers will demand this. It's just a question of time, imho.

Quote:
and to spend time on it would thus not be justified as long as there are higher priorities - and these are there in high numbers.
One day they will have worked all of them off and then they can finally implement some fine gunship AI. And teach the infantry crawling

Quote:
or to chase down an already retreating or shattered enemy (like you often use cavalry in Total War)
That's what I would use them for. Some beaten formations that managed to sneak through and no tanks can catch up with them again fast enough, that's where a gang of gunships would come in handy and that is what I would want to have a really big map. Paratroops or air cavalery could be fun too to intercept breaked through formations. :hmm:

But I still have one hell of a fun with SB1. My skills much improved. This came me very handy even In OFP tank operations too.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote