View Single Post
Old 11-23-15, 12:40 PM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Let's take this thread back a bit:

The arm strength of the average English Longbowman back in that day must have been quite remarkable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
Indeed it was. Most archers could fire 2 arrows in rapid succession. THAT is what I call arm strength.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Nuthin good goes outs Style BBY!
Check out Mad Jack Churchill This being a naval forum, the connect to longbow archery is all the more remarkable: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-22639505 The archer from the raised HMS Mary Rose has been forensically reconstructed from his skeletal remains; Bowmanship took it's physical toll...
Quote:
The skeleton of an archer reveals he was in his early 20s and 178cm (5ft 10in). He was taller than many of the crew and well built, with strong legs. The middle of his spine is twisted, making one shoulder lower than the other - a feature is seen on other skeletons found with archery equipment. One of his right finger bones has grooves on the inside, forming a ridge. This could have been made by repeatedly pulling a longbow string. He was wearing a leather jerkin and a longbow was found nearby.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-23-15 at 01:26 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote