Old 01-04-17, 03:18 PM   #374
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hello gap,

I case the S3ditor would split faces separated in the UV map, many parts are contiguous (e.g., superstructures of most ship models) and so no splitting would take place.
I did a quick try -- my ship models have deck and hull often on different maps, so the UV mapping is rather different. Importing the model without edge splitting, followed by export, relaoding into the 3d editing programme, separating the model part -- result: decks not splitted from the hull, still attached to ...
My bad.

I know for a fact that GR2 Editor splits edges that are non-contiguous in the UV map.
I discovered it the hard way, when trying to import a model with a secondary UV map (AO channel), and it got corrupted because the two UV maps had different edge splitting* (see note below). I don't know if this was just an extra feature by TDW, or it is imposed by the GR2 format. For some reason I thought I had encountered evidences that the same applied to the S3ditor/dat format, but I probably made confusion between the two editors/formats

* As you know, the number/coordinates of 3D vertices for the two UV channels must be identical, so GR2 Editor tries joining the edges wich are split in the main UV projection but not in the secondary one, and vice-versa, otherwise, for the reason I explained before, the two meshes would have a different number of vertices/edges)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
No, unticking "import vertex normals" is not always recommendable. There are original models using vertex models. However, the SH3 graphic engine seems to work better without vertex normals. SH4 is different, I makes use of vertex normals (if well done). The S3ditor is also set up to edit Silent Hunter 4.
Roger that, thank you for the clarification
gap is offline   Reply With Quote