View Single Post
Old 04-07-12, 12:57 PM   #9
11Bravo
Medic

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

I am proud to share with you the previously unknown voyages of U-boat U-13 "der Seeesel" captained by Herman Engel and his navigation challenged officers. These prewar voyages were to develop Navigation techniques and this first voyage was to test out the super secret SH3 clocks...

Voyage 1

Here are some observations about the two clocks in SH3. I call them "Screen Time" and "Mouse Time", but most of us think of them as Greenwich Mean Time and Local Time. There is also a "Mouse Date". There is no mention of what these really are in the manual. The game seems to think "Mouse Time" is the local time, though.

It's important to have a clear understanding of time and position if we are going to navigate. So I made a mod that would show the time zone lines and the Lat/Lon coordinates. Then I made some missions that took me to known locations so I could check things out. Let's take a look at what I am talking about...

The mod uses Nautical Time Zones, which are the negative of Civil Time Zones. You can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_time. The important thing to remember is that GMT=T+TZ where T is the local time (Zone Time) in the time zone, and TZ is the nautical time zone description (a number from -12 to +12). Time Zones are 15° wide of course and TZ 00 straddles the Greenwich Meridian.

Here's what we can see already by looking at some screen shots of the clocks when I loaded the missions. The mission editor determines the Screen Time and the Mouse Date. Right off the bat it looks like Mouse Time is the Zone Time (Local Time in the zone) and that the Screen Time is the GMT. And the mouse shows us the Date as well...but which date?
"Sounds of terror are in his ears; While at peace the destroyer comes upon him." -- Job 15:21

Last edited by 11Bravo; 04-07-12 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Voyage 1 of der Seeesel
11Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote