View Single Post
Old 04-02-12, 03:00 PM   #1
11Bravo
Medic

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0
Celestial Navigation Revisited

Returning to Silent Hunter 3 after a long absence...happy to see many of the old Kaleuns...

I am interested in the old problem of celestial navigation within Silent Hunter. I am familiar with the important work done by vanjast on RealNav and the excellent Stellarium workaround advocated by don1reed. I am familiar with the old problems...with the clock, the sun, the moon, the lazy helmsman, and the tantalizing accuracy of the stars...

What I want to know is if the state of the art has been advanced since then? Have any of the old problems been solved in SH3 or SH4 or SH5?

I have a special interest in knowing this, because before I left back in 2009, I was working on my own celestial navigation mod. I focused only on understanding navigation by the stars since others seemed to be working on the sun, dead reckoning, hiding the boat on the map. It was very difficult, but I was finally able to fix a position by the stars to within 120 km...or was it 30 km ...nearly all the time...and at the time that seemed pretty good to me.

I never finished my mod because it was more work than I was capable of accomplishing at the time. Anyway, I don't have my old files anymore but I remember what I did. And I feel like doing it again. But not if someone has already done better.
"Sounds of terror are in his ears; While at peace the destroyer comes upon him." -- Job 15:21
11Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote