View Single Post
Old 10-05-16, 05:30 AM   #35
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Your explanation depicts, in more detail, what I already believed to have understood. And I cannot argue with it. However, using Cinnamon, which is probbaly the most advanced Linux GUI out there, my point was slightly different. That is that if you come to Linux, and use Mint and Cinnamon, you may get greeted by this GUI and think "Oh, nice, easy, all is easy going", but that all too easily oyu may run into issues, problems, things you want or need to do, where you enter ground no longer covered by this GUI. Then its Terminal time. And that is a problem. Most users do not want to understand - thus: learn and study - DOS just to operate Windows. And it should not even be expected and needed that ordinary users have such deep-rooting knowledge - and learning a CLI language and syntax IS studying.

You do not want to need to become a mechanic just to drive your car. You want to be a driver, not a mechanic. A user, and most of us: just that, not more.

And I think here is the reason, one of the two major reasons (the other is software comoatability and the dominance Windows has here), why Linux never really got out of the starting block when comeeting against Windows for private end users market shares.

Finally, I am quite good at Windows, status version 7, now. But this knoweldge and experience got colected over almost two decades of using it, and for sim-tuning doing quite some non-rutine background tweaking. You cnanot learn such things from a book, reading it once and then you are there. Its more an experience than learning thing. Or learning by doing. A good modern OS-GUI should cut that short. Thats why many of us find it unproblematic to switch to iOS, to Android. We get a device, and intuitively navigate the unknwon waters and learn how things are to be done.

That is possible with Linux only as far as the GUI guides you. And when the GUI's reahc end, then you are all of a sudden in pitch-black darkness. Like Windows 95 22 years ago, which had a fully-fledged CLI-based DOS-interface still installed. And remmeber: back then Windows was in a state so that DOS still was needed not rarely. Not to mention that it did many things much faster.