Old 10-08-07, 01:22 PM   #12
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suBB
Molon,

You ever witness AI aircraft breaking the specified search tactic and loiter like we saw in the data? Because that’s the best way I can describe whats going on w/ the new buoy deployment design. It’s like he attempts the tactic, then after he rebounds off of the boundary, he decides to loiter, and no matter what tactic or combination of transit / transit search / tactic, I can’t seem to control it.

The only solution I have in mind is have the bear fly waypoints over the area, which contributes to predictability, but randomly select cruise speeds each time the map is loaded. If I have to do this, then there needs to be more randomness (the bear) elsewhere to try and offset predictability. Maybe there is enough randomness of 688 spawn along 264nm that the bear w/ waypoints may not be bad after all.

Any ideas?
I think with fixed-wing aircraft, the waypoint tolerances (created automatically by the sim for the tactic assigned; not anything you see in the editor) are too tight for the AI navigation routines to meet. Aircraft trying to go to a specific point as part of the tactic end up missing it, turning around and missing it again almost endlessly. So what we end up seeing just looks random and senseless.

If you want to do assiged waypoints, what I would suggest is to use dynamic groups or dynamic locations to spawn the bear. If you use DL's, the waypoints will move relative to the placement of the bear. That would allow you to have it fly the same pattern, but in different places for different spawns. If you use dynamic groups, you will be able to set waypoints for each spawn.

I think what I would do here is to assign the bear an area to cover, with buoy spawns in that area as you have been doing. (Or maybe even abstract a bit and place the buoys instead of spawning them; refresh them after 2 hours.... essentially, simply assume the bear has the buoy loadout to cover that area continuously for 4 hours). But, using what I've described above, make that area different with each spawn. My suggestion would be to do this with dynamic groups, so that the spawns of the subs would compliment the assigned area of the bear rather than just being totally random. This would allow you to simulate a coordinated screen, maximizing the effectiveness of the assets in a manner similar to what players would accomplish if we had a playable bear, while at the same time not revealing to anyone ahead of time where the bear and buoys will be.

I think the way this plays out is the 688I player uses ESM to guestimate where the bear is covering, then avoids that area and ends up having to try to slip past one of the Akulas. So one of the two akulas should have a chance at seeing some action.