View Single Post
Old 03-02-09, 01:22 PM   #30
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
That I will not attend the meeting in Copenhagen does not mean that I could not assist from the distance, where possible.

I looked up the web for offers of bus companies to get an idea of how much it would cost, but they gave no clues on it - somebody in Denmark better files a local company around Copenhagen a request with date and destination, they then will reply with a cost offer. I have no idea what it would be like.

The ferries over the belt go twice an hour, the passage lasts ~50 minutes. That is for cars AND trains, of course. Roadkilometers from ferry to Laboe is ~100km, almost nothing of that is Autobahn, most is Land- and Bundestrasse. You need to orientate yourself, and need to find your way around and in Kiel's north. Depending on traffic, before you can embark on the parking lot at Laboe museum give those 100km 2-3 hours. Third, add the Danish side of the trip, I don'T know what kind of road you can move on from ferry to Kopenhagen. Since the road-distance is even more, also give it let'S say 2 hours minimum. I think you should not expect to make the trip anywhere below 5-5,5 hours minimum if going with car yourself. The shortest train trip is 5:08, the other train options with less changes are around 5,5 to 5,75 hours.

That is 11 hours of riding car or train in Kopenhagen and Kiel, all in one day. Add the arrival time for those just embarking from plane. Add jetlag. Add the time you spend in Laboe.

If I were you, I would add the 15th september to the whole timetable for the operation. Such stunts like planned so far I found inviting when I was at school. I would not like them anymore these days. Guys, some of you travel around half the globe - and then you just want to run around in a stressing hurry, not having one minute to relax, take a breath and come to your senses, seing where you are...? This is not the sprint at the Olympics, but it is your money... Take some more time.

Thanks, Sky, for the details.

Hitman, et all, how does this sound?

Americans leave Monday 14th and fly into Copenhagen on early morning in Tuesday 15th. One day to rest up, see a little of the town, and get plenty of rest that night and solve the jet lag. Then we rise early Weds 16th, take the train OR rent a van to Laboe, across the excellent ferry. See U-995, meet up with German and other western Euro members who are driving in. Then we take the train/van back OR ride back with people who have cars. If there are two or three Euro drivers, we probably will not need the train on the return trip.

We have plenty of time to finalize this, we will have better idea of who is driving in, and we can get exact train schedules. We could rent a car/bus in Cop. and drive to Laboe as a group, but then we will need to return it. If we have enough drivers meeting us at Laboe, it could save money and be more fun to train/driver.

McBeck is our Danish rep.and Carotio can also be our Danish point man. Sounds like Skybird, Gandalf and Lurchie could be excellent German liasons.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-02-09 at 01:44 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote