View Single Post
Old 12-08-14, 09:31 AM   #9
Kielhauler1961
中国水兵

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
YMMV. But your problem has a solution if you care to use it. One which is simple and more historically appropriate than never communicating with base. Of course, if your goal is BSU, your way works fine, too.
I don't consider it a problem, in fact it's a blessing. The principle reason U-boats chattered away to BdU and each other was to find and shadow convoys in the hope of vectoring other boats onto them. As there are no 'other boats' or wolf-packs in the game that particular historical aspect is irrelevant. The likelihood of the Luftwaffe turning-up is so remote that it isn't worth considering, hence the German military maxim "If it's green it's British; if it's silver it's American and if it's invisible it's the Luftwaffe." There aren't even any occasional weather reporting duties but I suppose one could sit in a grid square taking weather readings and transmitting status reports ever six hours to simulate it if one wished...

Although the Germans suspected that the Allies might be DF'ing their messages they did nothing serious about it. The more savvy skippers kept their transmissions brief and rare while the more inexperienced commanders (and there were plenty of those as the war progressed) committed suicide by radio. I maintain RS during patrols for the above reasons as the inherent limitations in the game are not my problem. You may differ but that's fine - each to their own interpretation of what is 'historical' or not. It's a game after all, not a religion.

KH
Kielhauler1961 is offline   Reply With Quote