View Single Post
Old 09-12-20, 07:07 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The afghanistan war must be rated as another sobering experience, for the US, but also for the Europeans. It costed an awful lot of money, and has not achieved lasting changes of strategic values or to the civil society of Afghanistan.

And now? The Taleban negotiate their way back to power, while never having offered apologies for the barbaric brutality they showed and terrorised the country with when they were in full control. I fear very, very much that the small changes that have happened for the better, sooner or later will be completely eradicated again. The taleban have not stoppd to be conservative Muslim. Different to the Iraq war, I can understand theUS reaction towards Afghanistan, the way they tried to fight the war in the early years was naive a bit, but that they struck at afghanistan after 9/11 is understandable. I never criticised the US for Afghanistan, only questioned the choosen ways. They got Mullah Omar and Osama Bin Laden. But as I see it, more they have not won from it.

Different it is for the Europeans, namely the Germans. Why we went there, has always been a mystery to me, we achieved nothing, and after we got under attack, form that time on we just defended ourselves and for that completely isolated ourselves from the afghan population and society which to "protect" we claimed to have gone there; we had hilarious, ridiculous, naive rules of engagement, and lacked seriously in military logistical and combat capabilities and existentially depended on the Americans for medivac, air support, and various Asian and Kazachian and Russian airforces and railways for our supply transportation, because we cannot support our troops at that distance by our own logistical means. That alone should have switched on a red light stopping us form going there. How arroigant miust one be to send one'S army to a palce that is beyiond reahc for own supply systems and that make the troops highly vulnerable for the good will of third countries with in parts highly dubious reputation? Maybe it was the bad conscience because the terrorists that struck on 9/11 were planning and preparing their attack in safety in Germany, namely Hamburg.

As much as I can understand the Americans, as much I have zero understanding for us Germans going there. A huge miscalculation. And ye,s one coukld have known it in advance. The military warned of it. The politicians, this elite of Marvel's league of superheroes, thougth they knew it better ocne again. Schuster, bleib bei deinen Leisten! Even these already are too much for us nowadays.

The Americans going to Afghanistan is understandable. Their methods were in parts questionable, naive, over-optimistic. The germans going there was simply stupid and showed once again a certain typical German overestimation of our own capabilities. In other words: we took the mouth too full, and even lied to ourselves about the fact that it was a war we embarked into. For years in our political debates it was seriously denied to be a war!