View Single Post
Old 12-29-18, 01:56 PM   #5
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Stewy, yeah I was reminded of the tactic after reading a sub novel where another Russian captain did it, and figured I’d give it a try a while back. I’ve tried it both against AI and people and actually found it to be very effective. Of course it is always a gamble, if the torpedo arms before you pass it, there’s a good chance your dead, although I have been able to still evade a couple times, and if it’s in circle search it can be a little hairy.

The thing is that if I’m coming up to someone for the first time, they automatically assume that once I hear a torpedo I’m going to turn away. They know I’m in an Akula and very fast so they usually set the torpedo to as close to my range as possible and a snake pattern so as not to waste time with it searching.

The important thing I do that makes it all work is launching a decoy down the predicted path at flank speed, and fire a countershot. They hear my sub turning away, then see the torpedo coming down their bearing. They go evasive which usually involves travelling at a speed that their sonar is blind. As far as they know, I’m running away.

The big advantage here is that even if my torpedo misses, I have the element of suprised in the reengagent. He will be looking for me and expecting me in a completely different area then I am. I’ll sit at 3 knots and wait for him to get close. Since I will drop speed first while he’s moving at speed, I will know exactly where he his, he won’t have any clue about me.

In the end, sometimes doing what is least expected can be the best tactic in itself.