View Single Post
Old 08-29-15, 01:24 PM   #153
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
AFAIK the only units in SH4 that can attack with torpedoes (real torpedoes) are the aircraft. They also can go up and down. I suggested some time ago to fake a submarine with an aircraft inverting properties i.e. it would raise to peri depth to shoot the torpedo and then sink again after shooting. IIRC someone gave it a try and said that travelling at sub speed was impossible for an air unit. I don't remember if that was for SH3 and not SH4, though. Maybe doing a quick try with an aircraft replacing the model by the 3d of a sub and tinkering around with the unit properties would point out if this is possible at all?

OTH any AI can shoot guns, and you can fake a torpedo with a gun. Someone even attached a real torpedo with wake and all to an invisible gun shell that travelled very slow, but I am not sure how it all ended.

This is one of those things that could eventually be faked by some alternative & creative thinking, but I'm too much out of the SH4 loop right now to be able to take care of it

UBI already put a japanese AI submarine in the game, but I don't know what AI it uses, was it a fake surface ship, a docked ship or something else?
Excuse my interruption. I don't believe anyone ever corrected this...? But actually AI units can use real torpedoes in SH4. There's no need to use the "invisible shell" workaround. I designed a torpedo-firing German Type VII submarine for a SH4 Atlantic WWII mod (we never released it), and I also equipped the Fletcher and Tribal DD's with torpedoes - the results were fairly good. The only problem is that AI torpedoes gradually sink overtime when fired at long range. You have two choices:

-Increase the torpedo speed to about 120 kts (I found this gives a good ratio of hits and misses at long range, while solving the depth problem)

-Keep the torpedo speed at historical values, but make them usable only at shorter than historical range, so they don't have time to sink (about 500-600 yards or less)

Links to the threads are below:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154068

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...=207517&page=5

Credit for the original mod goes to DarkFish.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 08-29-15 at 01:29 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote