View Single Post
Old 10-10-06, 01:18 PM   #12
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Well clue me in then - does it have a dynamic campaign like RB3D? If so, you are starting to peek my interest!

-S
It's a long while since I played RB I have to say but from what I remember of it the one in OFF is already, for my money, every bit as good and will be even better by the time Phase two comes out.

The campaign is excellent. At the moment the choice of squadrons is limited as not all the aircraft are finished (but this is going to change in Phase 2) but there is still more than enough to get your teeth into. Patrols over the lines; Hunting observation balloons; scambles when your aerodrome is attacked; and Lone wolf patrols where you go off on your own and go where you want. There is even a Home defence campaign pitting you against Zeppelins over London.

At the moment squadron management is a bit simple but it is being improved upon and will feature a full and dynamic pilot roster, proper working promotions and other features that the team are keeping close to there chest just now.

The real genuis of this mod is the exterior wrapper which you run ( and which launches the game when you fly a mission,) and controls every feature of the mod from the progression of time to how often you want weather fronts to change. The weather is incredible: far superior to anything i have seen in IL2 for example. Terrain and scenery modelling is also of a very, very high standard. Flying over the front at dawn in November 1918 with the low red sun rising and casting it's light on the froven mist shrouded fields and hedgerows below you is about as immersive as it comes. Of course, the fact that the CFS3 engine allows for huge maps is a massive bonus. You have virtually the whole of Western Europe there: Towns look like towns, forests look like forests. and the front is a horrible, horrible place.

Anyway. A couple more screenies. If the colours seem a bit funny that was just me mucking around with Infranview a while ago:

Egan is offline   Reply With Quote