View Single Post
Old 09-06-18, 08:04 AM   #6559
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrane View Post
Ahoy guys I encountered a slight problem after ending a patrol. Porpoise class SS181. May 24 1942 was offered an upgrade, the bow mounted deck gun. After taking it no slots to man it with a crew. The deck gun was installed however.

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.71_PublicBeta_E N
Bigger Better Protractors

......Homeport was Freemantle I had ended a patrol. No messages about the upgrade it was listed under equipment. I took it for 400 renown pts I can go to it and fire it myself but with no crew.....

No slots for crew
With this report, I wanted to re enact what captcrane did, so I could see for myself? However, I did not have the "no slot" issue for a newly purchased "Bow" deck gun!? After docking in Fremantle port, with a "Bow" gun purchase, I found there were slots for the crew on the Crew Management page, with the correct "label" of "Fore Deck Gun" for the slots.

Although I see in the above image, the crew slots ARE missing, but so is the correct "label"....it reads "Aft Deck Gun"?? So, I'm somewhat hesitant to bring this up but, I think there was something else going on here besides the mod having a bad day?!? We talked about it earlier....Mod Soup? Not that his only other mod (Bigger Better Protractors) would cause the trouble...NO, I don't think so! BUT, was the SH4 file cleaned out before playing the Ultimate mod?? A leftover .upc file that gummed up the works?? Maybe!

The bottom line is I couldn't get the Deck Gun slots to NOT appear as they should. With several tries, at several different bases. Maybe a good 'ol "Restart" of the game would have corrected the issue....I just don't know?

========

However, something I DID see was when I purchased a different Deck Gun (switched from a Starting Default Stern DG to a Bow one), I couldn't get the 3D crew to appear at the gun!?! The purchase went without a hitch, the Crew Management page shown the correct position change (Fore for Aft), the crew slots were there, thew gun was there on the front of the deck.....but no crew after telling them to "Man the Deck Gun". Now, one thing you HAVE to do is to put Crew Members into the "slots"......I did that, but the 3D crew did not "Man the Gun" when I told them to!! When I further changed the DG back to the Stern position....the 3D crew appeared as they should.

Now I'll admit, I'm the one to get the Deck Gun to do the right thing (get a purchase "offer"; purchase it; and it appears in the right place)....the Stock game is "miserable" at getting the DG to do the right thing. And, I've known this was a problem with the lack of 3D crew when doing anything different than the "default" gun position, so I decided to do something about it.

In our next Beta version the DG will "Default" to different positions, different guns, automatically. Determined at different time periods. You won't have a "say" in where the gun is positioned, or which gun you get. You'll just know you'll get one at the following dates:

Stern 3.50 will be on all subs until 1942-04-01... then default to:
Bow 3.50 until 1942-08-01....then default to:
Stern 4.50 until 1943-01-01....then default to:
Bow 4.50 until 1944-01-01...then default to:
Stern 5.25 until 1944-08-01...then default to;
Bow 5.25 until 1945-03-02....then default to:
Twin 5.25's for the remainder of the game.

The Narwhal will continue to only have the Twin 4.50's as it's Deck Gun setup throughout the war.

By having the game setup the "default" gun instead of the player, this will have the gun displaying the crew as it should. AND, it should provide the player with the expected gun in all situations......no more questions like... "Where's my Deck Gun"? It should follow the above pattern for all American subs.

I'm pretty sure a mod can be made to give a player a "choice" before starting the game to either have the "default" as a Bow or Stern DG. A progression of the three different gun "types" for the "default" gun placement could still be made for it. But, the game simply doesn't know what to do with changing a placement for the gun and still keep itself together in the end.....this modification will keep it together!

I don't like to narrow down the play ability of the player by dictating how, what, where, the DG will perform, but I think it's for the best.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote