View Single Post
Old 09-23-05, 01:43 PM   #18
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Fish, for these reason I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps "arena" style missions are not meant for the mod and designers should focus of realistic mission tasking, to exploit or expose weaknesses in individual platforms, since the mod goes a long way towards removing the "generic" feel of the various platforms in play in terms of sonar performance.

The focus of the mod has shifted subtly from v1.xx to v2.xx. Originally, my plan was to address gameplay and playability issues only, when it came to light that Amizaur and I could do a "realism" mod with reasonable expectation of success, we both were excited about the prospect of shifting focus and that is what we've done. With this in mind, does it seem unreasonable that "realistic" missions would be the better way to go with a "realism" database as opposed to "arena" style death matches? :hmm:

Keep in mind, this is why we've included the quick install/uninstall... perhaps you can use stock db for arena style missions if you like them (personally I don't with the stock db, I like having to search around and my online opponents enjoy the hunt, several times we've never even fired on each other and still had a good time in the dive and considered it a success, now with deathmatches this could be hard case to make) and then make realistic MP missions with tasking for the realism DB.

Personally, I can live with the decline of arena matches for the mod if the reward is smoothly playing, balanced, ultra-realistic MP missions. I can live quite happily.
My first impression is this mod is not workable on a longer range. Sure some enthousiastic people will use it for multiplayer, but not for long in my opinion. They will be bored at some time, when we make ultra-realistic multiplayer maps.
Cruising around for two hours, not finding anything, well most will go for the stock game.
And when we want to have some action we have to put all platforms in a bathtub.
So, it's your and Amizaur's mod, and a very good one I think, hat of, you can do with the mod what you want.
But in my opinion, as it is now, the detection ranges are not what people want in multiplayer.
I do this for 6 years now, and I think (not being arrogant I hope) I know more or less what people like.
I have read hundreds, or better thousands of dive reports.

EDIT, I am a slow writer, sorry.

PS: I will work with different speeds later tonight.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote